PDA

View Full Version : Hey Carot read this pls.. B18A crank thing again

toastyghost
07-18-2003, 10:49 AM
This goes to any other person with a B20A not currently in their car. I want to know if this is a direct bolt on kind of thing so bad I will sponsor it for someone else's motor. I lack a 3g, my Z34 is going to be taking all the money I have to dump into cars for a while until it at least has a chip, 5-speed swap, 3" Ram Air exhaust, CAI w/ polycarb box and a few other little things (by "little" I mean precisely 18x8 :D). Don't laugh about the chip, this is a quad cam V6 that was crippled by 50 hp or so just on fuel/spark tables out of the factory because the stock auto trannies could not be warrantied to hold that much power. A chip on this thing is maybe +30 to the wheels.

Anyway here is my question to you B20A building people: if I can cheaply pick up a B18A crank and ship it to you, will you put it on your motor to see if it fits/runs? I really want to destroke a B20A and eventually put a B16A head on it, but unlike most of the newbies who post crazy ass ideas in the swap section, I realize and accept the fact that it is going to be a while before this actually happens. I would just like to know for sure that it works before I have my mind set on destroking in this way.

Justin86
07-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Why would you want to destoke it. What kind of gains do you expect from this.

toastyghost
07-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Higher rev and quicker powerband as with any other mod that decreases rotational mass. And a fucking lot of power once it has high rev cam profiles aka VTEC head swap.

PhydeauX
07-18-2003, 05:05 PM
What are you planning to do about the drop in compression though?

andy

88LXI
07-18-2003, 06:02 PM
i am taking my b20a out because I dont think that its living up to its full potential... i dont have the correct ecu, my engine light comes on on the freeway and that bugs me... and it doesnt idle properly... i dont know if the idle speed motor is to blame im not sure. i will know when i put my old engine back in the car... after that i just have to find a buyer for my b20a with manual tranny... i doubt that ill have a very hard time

toastyghost
07-19-2003, 11:19 AM
PhydeauX: Well if the stock B18A crank fits on someone else's B20A, I will get an aftermarket balanced rotating assembly with higher compression pistons to compensate when I actually do this myself. <edit> BTW I just saw the TDI in your avatar, my bro has a 98 TDI and those cars fuckin haul! I compliment your tastes, sir. </edit>

88LXI: When you're taking it out, would you mind bolting up a B18A crank? And I agree, you should have no problems at all selling your setup, or at least the tranny. :)

PhydeauX
07-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Well Higher compresion pistons are going to add reciprocating mass, assuming they are going to be conciderably (at least 1cm) taller. I'd rather have rotational mass then reciprocating mass. Shortening the stroke will loose some piston velocity, better for reving but you're sacrificing torque. Torque is what makes these motors shine. If you just want to loose weight off the crank why not concider knife edging it?

andy

toastyghost
07-20-2003, 05:17 PM
good point. nevermind, i'll stick with the chevy performance for a while anyway. thanks for your advice man

iloveJDMblackrims69
07-23-2003, 08:31 PM
hey toasty get your old avatar back haha thats how i knew it was you.

toastyghost
07-25-2003, 03:02 PM
arrr been trying to get rid of that cartoony shit
i hate my face but since you requested it...