PDA

View Full Version : speedo quits when braking and clutching

rocky2
07-19-2003, 04:22 AM
My speedo quits when I put the brakes on and the clutch and then the check engine light comes on
Anyone ever had this happen to them?
Sounds like speedo head makes noise too.

87accordlxph
07-19-2003, 05:57 AM
If the speedo makes noise then it's probably loose at the back of the gauge cluster or lack of lubricant where the speedo cable connects to the back of the gauge cluster.

As far as the brakes go, does the brake light come on? and not the check engine light? Check your engine oil if it does come on cause the oil in your engine must be moving around when you brake and is probably low.
If it is the brake light coming on, then you probably have a leak in your wheel cylinder and they need to be replaced. Take off your rear wheels and inspect for oil leaks first before you change em.
I know this sounds silly but monitor all your fliuds and notice if your running low on engine oil and brake fluid.

-Mike from Sarnia!

rocky2
07-19-2003, 06:23 AM
Its weird. The car must come to a stop then then speedo will work properly till the brakes/clutch are applied,but not always. Then after the speedo quits it makes a slight noise from behind the cluster.
Its intermitant.1988 lxi

dXsquared
07-19-2003, 06:26 AM
the clutch arm is hitting the speedo cable... i think.. then its slightly pulling the little sensor ot of the slot

this is just a guess

Travis

rocky2
07-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Change oil on engine,while I was underneath I checked the trans fliud level...When I removed the filler plug it was overfilled,let it drain out .....have not have a problem since:)

POS carb
07-29-2003, 09:55 AM
if it does it on braking and clutching my $ is on the tranny connection being loose, make sure the retainer pin is still on it and that it's all the way into the gear