PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure Regulator Mod!!

3rdgenlxi
07-20-2003, 10:52 AM
http://www.hondaracing.ca/Tricks/fpr-mod/fpr.htm

Good for some horses on modified cars, may help you stay emissions legal too....

IWLSF
07-20-2003, 06:08 PM
Modified as in forced induction. I dont think anyone here qualifies for that yet. Otherwise, to anyone with a FPR done to their car, you're a ricer!

pimp86LX
07-20-2003, 06:11 PM
yo man ease up IWLSF ! A FPR without a turbo is mayd tyte.

IWLSF
07-20-2003, 06:18 PM
LoL, and good for about 12 hp and 6 ft-lbs, but shhh, cant let the guys around here know that...

dXsquared
07-20-2003, 06:28 PM
1988 Starter has an adj. FPR

Travis

IWLSF
07-20-2003, 06:33 PM
So? Still rice. I know a lot of ppl with ones, that doesnt mean anything lol.

dXsquared
07-20-2003, 06:34 PM
its not rice.. its adds power

Travis

BITESIZE
07-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Has anyone ever tried this?

IWLSF
07-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Ahhahahahaahahahahhahahahaha, adds power? Read the name. ADJUSTABLE fuel pressure regulator. It allows the fuel pressure to be adjusted. Sorry, but if I'm not mistaken, more AIR adds power, not more fuel. And I really dont think too many people around here are intelligent enough to realize how much fuel pressure is running on a stock 3g, let alone what it should be for their motor. FPR is pure rice unless used in forced induction, and even then, it's a waste of money. Get an AFC if you want the ability.

1988starter
07-20-2003, 06:43 PM
all I know is I lean out in the top end more than I want to if I don't bump up the pressure a bit also I know that A20A1 needs one or his car ceases to run.

IWLSF
07-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Then you might have a fuel problem. The FPR is not needed unless you're running forced induction or a heavily modded motor. And I'm not referring to 'cat-back, intake, cam' shit, I mean serious custom work. A20A1 would be the only one to come to mind with that type of shat done.

1988starter
07-20-2003, 06:48 PM
I have a new pump filters and all my injectors have been cleaned and flow tested so I doubt anything serious is wrong with my fuel system and besides when I am done with my motor an fpr will be a necessary evil and anyone who knows me will tell you that I will follow through on my plans I just need a little more time for now.

A20A1
07-20-2003, 08:21 PM
Actually I need a constant fuel pressure of 3.5 - 4 psi to my carb... the stock carb fuel pump puts out about 3.2 psi. Now with an upgraded fuel pump I'll be running around 5 - 7 psi... so I would add a pressure regulator to lower the psi to 3.5 - 4 psi. I'm using a higher psi because as the engine speed increases so does fuel demand.

FPR's on turbo applications usually have a rising rate which keeps the fuel psi to boost ratio the same. On a stock efi motor you'll gain some power, it just depends how you want to spend your money.

I don't think it's a ricer mod but some people tend to over do it... with the "MORE IS BETTER" mentality... they need to think about tuning the parts they have to work together instead of just working on one area.

1988starter
07-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Hey A20 how its the car running these days,

A20A1
07-20-2003, 08:33 PM
Actually the mod in the link is very helpful for those looking for a cheap alternative to swapping out parts for better ones.

But as mentioned earlier I don't think many of us here are up to that point where we need to modify our FPR's to bleed excess pressure.

A20A1
07-20-2003, 08:35 PM
The car is running fine, I'm just waiting to get my welder back and for the money to buy my drill press and materials for the header.

if all else fails I'll go the cheap route and get a pacesetter :(

NXRacer
07-21-2003, 07:59 AM
why the hell would a FPR be rice? Its a mod that help performance (when its needed). Now if somebody puts one on a stock motor, thats not really necessary, but it certainly isnt rice!

Sabz5150
07-21-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by IWLSF
Ahhahahahaahahahahhahahahaha, adds power? Read the name. ADJUSTABLE fuel pressure regulator. It allows the fuel pressure to be adjusted. Sorry, but if I'm not mistaken, more AIR adds power, not more fuel. And I really dont think too many people around here are intelligent enough to realize how much fuel pressure is running on a stock 3g, let alone what it should be for their motor. FPR is pure rice unless used in forced induction, and even then, it's a waste of money. Get an AFC if you want the ability.

33 to 39 PSI stock, and obviously you don't know that air without fuel does this thing... oh what is it, oh yeah! IT LEANS THE ENGINE OUT. Do we know what happens when the engine goes lean? Holes start appearing where they shouldn't be.

If you add more air, you need more fuel to keep the 14.7:1 stoich mix, even without forced induction. Enter the adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Air adds power without fuel :lol :lol :lol Jesus, I needed a laugh for the day.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
07-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Sabz5150
33 to 39 PSI stock, and obviously you don't know that air without fuel does this thing... oh what is it, oh yeah! IT LEANS THE ENGINE OUT. Do we know what happens when the engine goes lean? Holes start appearing where they shouldn't be.

If you add more air, you need more fuel to keep the 14.7:1 stoich mix, even without forced induction. Enter the adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Air adds power without fuel :lol :lol :lol Jesus, I needed a laugh for the day.

IWLSF NEVER said "Air adds power without fuel :lol :lol :lol Jesus, I needed a laugh for the day. " You wrote that.. If u are going to QUOTE the man, QUOTE him Correctly

Sabz5150
07-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
IWLSF NEVER said "Air adds power without fuel :lol :lol :lol Jesus, I needed a laugh for the day. " You wrote that.. If u are going to QUOTE the man, QUOTE him Correctly

"Sorry, but if I'm not mistaken, more AIR adds power, not more fuel. "

Now go away.

A20A1
07-21-2003, 03:03 PM
K this is kinda pointless to argue about... besides all 3 of you are foundation memebers. :D

Sabz5150
07-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
K this is kinda pointless to argue about... besides all 3 of you are foundation memebers. :D

Understood, but this whole "rice" thing has gotten so far out of hand...

Justin86
07-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Lets say that RICE is all show and no go. This will consist of apperance mods. Anything that CAN help performance is not rice. Unless you have a fat can. Even if you gain 1hp from. It is still rice. I would rather have a stock looking muffler like a Flowmaster that might give you around 3-5hp.

lostforawhile
07-04-2005, 06:26 AM
okok! if you increase the air flow going through the motor you will pull more fuel out of the carb jets that's a fact always has been a fact since the first carb was invented. that can lean out your mixture if your pump can't keep up. thats why we run a bigger intake or a bigger exaust. to increase airflow through the motorthe stock pump can't keep up. i know this i've tried it. i did find a pump made by master power that does keep up most of the time. the old pumps would drop fuel pressure to zero on acceleration. this one keeps up pretty good. i have the pressure regulated down to 3.5 psi. this is also much eaisier on your needle valve to have a steady pressure. i would like to find a better pump to go in the tank but have about given up. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/Image00041.jpg after a certain point you have to rejet the carb because you end up with diminishing returns. as far as fuel injection the reason you would run a bigger fuel pump and adjustable regulator is if you increase the size of the injectors. when the injectors reach maxium duty cycle they just won't flow anymore fuel. you would use the regulator to increase the fuel pressure for bigger injectors. just like increasing the jet sizes on the carb.

lostforawhile
07-04-2005, 07:09 AM
how did it pop up in new posts??? :uh:

lostforawhile
07-04-2005, 07:16 AM
no i mean i searched under new posts unless someone brought it up IT WON'T DIE!!!!!!!

Accordtheory
07-05-2005, 05:30 PM
if your engine computer is working properly, increasing your fuel press won't do shit. the computer will see a higher voltage from the oxygen sensor, and shorten the injector pulse width to get the a/f back to 14.7.