PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what it is.

Not like a rock
07-20-2003, 03:01 PM
I have a question about a part. I don't know what it is, but will probably affect my engine replacement. I'm replacing a bad A20A3 with a cheap BT1.

The part is located on the driver's side of the engine compartment, right above the front driver side wheel. In my A20A3 set-up, it is a little black box made by Bosch that conects some wiring together. The wire run from the inside of the car, through the Bosch connecter, and down to the front of the car near the fans. There, they split out of the hose and connect to another small box and a small cylinder. Both the box and the cylinder connect to nothing else (from what I can see).

On my BT1 set-up, a different device is in the same place. It has two hoses from the air system plugged into it and also has a set of wires that run down to the front of the car as described above.

I can just replace the parts alright, but I don't know what to do with the set of wires that comes from inside the car (they won't have anything to plug into).

zero.counter
07-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Well it sounds like you have a bosch relay, mostky used for aftermarket accesories like alarms, amp remote switches, fog lights, trailer lights and so on. I would just seal off the wires either with black tape and some zip ties or a connector shielding from radio shack, which crimps the connector and deos not leave exposed wires.

Not like a rock
07-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Well, that kind of explains it because the car did have fog lights at one time (I think).

But the set-up with wires running inside the car doesn't look aftermarket, and I don't know why it would be the same from there on down on both cars.

Guess I'll just see what happens when I swap...