PDA

View Full Version : caught on fire and wont start now?

bobmarly77
07-20-2003, 07:56 PM
i have a 86 accord and it burst into flames and the carburater was flaming. i put it out with my hose and now it wont start? is this beacaue its flooded? or mabey smoke in my fuel lines? and a couple of my vacuum lines were fused together form teh heat. is this the problem?? thanks guys

BITESIZE
07-20-2003, 08:00 PM
Started on fire...........time for a new car I would say. Sorry to hear that!

1988starter
07-20-2003, 08:29 PM
OK here is what I would do start by replacing all burned fuel lines and look for any berned wires esp around the ignition coil check the distributer and it's electrical connections. Also make sure you are getting spark. then come back.

A20A1
07-20-2003, 08:58 PM
You threw water into the motor?
Were you driving when it caught fire?

did you car over heat?

Have you had coolant problems before?

were the vacuum lines damaged by the fire?

Is the float inside the float bowl melted or warped in any way?

have the gaskets burned?

BITESIZE
07-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Man, I don't know if I would attempt to fix that car and actually keep it, the chances of it happening again would scare me. Fix it, then sell it.

A20A1
07-20-2003, 10:43 PM
well fires usually start from overheating, too much oil build up on the engine, loose wires, leaky fuel lines, float adjustment screw, and carb gaskets.

BITESIZE
07-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Yep, I'd sell that humdinger.

maxoutracer
07-21-2003, 08:50 AM
ebay if your friend, hehe

2twisty
07-21-2003, 08:58 AM
will the motor turn over? If you got water in the cylinders it may not.

If there's no wiring damage, try this:

If the engine won't turn, remove the plugs and see if it does. (use a wrench) If it does turn, dump a few tablespoons on oil in each cylinder and crank it with the stater for about 10-15 seconds. You will probably have oil and water shoot outta the cylinders, but that's good in this case.

After that, spray a buncha WD40 in each cylinder and let it sit for a couple hours. The WD-40 will absorb and disperse the water that's left. Then crank the engine over again and blow that muck out.

Put the plugs in it and try to start her up.. If it starts, IMMEDIATELY shut it off and change your oil.

THen you should be good to go.

POS carb
07-21-2003, 10:48 AM
wd-40 doesn't absorb water, pretty much the best/most accessible substance that will do that is rubbing alcohol, it will mix with both and burn off. If your car caught fire there was obviously a problem to begin with, you should start by replacing that with a junkyard unit

Dibbs
07-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Never used Isopropyl Alcohol to clean out water in an engine.:eek:

I guess it would work but I thought Iso Alcohol was more flammable than combustible. Anyhow, if you use Methanol, it will form a mixture with the gasoline so it will pass through your combustion chamber. It also raises the octane level as well.:super:

87accordlxph
07-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Hehehe Rubbing Alcohol?! Ahhhhh!

That will sure cause a fire especially if you pour some of it on to a hot motor or try to start the car when the fluid is still in liquid or possible gasous form.

If your car drowns, catches fire, has excessive front damage, or seized up it's pronounced DEAD!

R.I.P. sorry for your loss man :(

-Mike from Sarnia!