PDA

View Full Version : Help with Harness !

GreenMachine
06-11-2002, 04:04 PM
Well this weekend I got a wire harness, But it is out of a 89 automatic. Is there anything that this harness won't have that I will need for my 87 standard, such as clutch pedal wire ?
Not sure didn't have time to look , thanx for any help:stupid:

GreenMachine
06-11-2002, 09:04 PM
So basically am I screwed for getting an auto Harness or will it matter - besides the extra wires for auto ?

Also in the conversion, If I am going to use my tank for now, wiil the efi pump fit right in - and can I just
make a hole in the tank for the return line ?

thanx for all the help guys - this would have been impossible !:bandit: :sadwave: :cool:

hornet
06-14-2002, 08:42 PM
You may run into a bit of trouble putting the 89 wiring in the 87. As far as auto wiring going into a manual car, I got everything for my conversion from an 89 auto and put it all into a 88 manual car. Don't for get the neutral safety switch though, you'll need that.

And the fuel pump fits right in. But you need to add the feed line from the efi car.

You better check out this link... http://pages.infinit.net/omus/
Every thing you need to know is there.

GreenMachine
06-14-2002, 09:51 PM
Neutral safety switch ..uh..... what does it look like, cause already got the harness is it attached to it .
Never thought about that! :wtf:

GreenMachine
06-14-2002, 09:56 PM
I see carrotman says you only need the engine bay harness

I got the harness from the whole car except the back section where it unpluges by the drivers seat .
I now have stuff that I never had before - ash tray light, ign. light
and not to mention wired for air cond, cruise if I wanted it witch i don't.
:rolleyes:

smufguy
06-19-2002, 09:10 PM
green machine, u dont need the dash wire harness if ur having a lx. if u have a dx, then u do and u can also change the heater controls. The ECU has 3 clips on the EFI and cab has just 2. so u do need the cabin wire harness. and as u noticed, the cabin harness extends into the engine bay where it connects with the engine bay harness, so u need the cabin harness no matter what. and never get a auto harness for a 5 speed and never change the years. even though its a 3g, they paired 86-87 and 88-89. but always get that stuff from the same year. and the same tranny (5spd or auto). i guess carotman skimmed thru this, but i am writing up my conversion and i have made it very clear on it when i bring up my website.

GreenMachine
06-19-2002, 10:55 PM
I have a 89 auto harness, everything should be the same, just a couple of extra wires for auto.
If this will not work - then EXPLAIN exactly why?
My budy and I are fairly mechanically inclined and we both took the harness out of the auto and there didn't seem to be anything significantly different. I believe there shouldn't be much of a difference besides the automatic lights. There is no wires that go to the tranny so the ecu should be identical to any other 88-89 accord ecu.
I went to an 89 because that is all that is in my area. I guess I'll have to prove you wrong ......or else be havin to do it all over.:stick:

smufguy
06-20-2002, 06:54 AM
no no, sorry bro. i did not mean to confuse u. if u got every sing thing, like engine bay harness and the cabin and the ecu from the 89 then it SHOULD work. also. the 88-89 has two O2 sensors on the headers while the 86-87 has just one. so the ECU will be different on those 86-87 and 88-89 cause the emission is different. also, when u took your cab out, did u see a small dip on the top? thats where the injectors go on the 88-89 but the injectors are placed midway thru the intake ports on the 86-87 i think. not sure, but do check it out. everything will work, if they are from the same year. your dash wires are just wires so they wont matter. make sure the thermostat and any other sensor equipped shit is from the same year cause u dont want the ecu to go :wtf: . Dont worry man, u will be the first one i guess to get all the parts off of a 89 and put in your 87(?). Good luck to you bro, have fun. i gotta head out to the junk now after taking a shower. i still dont know if i have to get the fuel feed line from the coupe. the wheelbase for the sedan and the coupe is exactly the same, so the line should be more or less the same size??? cant get carotman. anywhere. :confused:

smufguy
06-20-2002, 06:58 AM
YOu got a Hatchback???? dang, i never knew it greenmachine. u got rear wipers then. hmmm is it just controlled by a relay in your fuse box or something? cause if thats the case then the cabin wires should be different right? hmm. i know the sedanc and the coupe are different on cabin wiring, but everything is the same in the engine bay. damn.... sooo omany models and shits. there is a blue hatchback in my junk, the engine bay looks sooo damn clean i wonder why they even junked it. it is efi too. probably 88 or lesser year 3g. damn i wish u were here man, we could have sooo much fun. i mean with the car :D

hornet
06-20-2002, 09:22 PM
The neutral safety switch is on the hump right at the bottom of the automatic shifter handle, it has like about 3 plugs going to it, and just a few bolts hold it down. I just plugged it in and moved it to the park position, then zip tied it up under the dash. I did read another post somewhere that said you can just splice 2 of the wires together but not knowing wich ones to cut I think it might be better to just plug in the switch. I used the automatic instrament cluster in mine, not sure if you will be able to use your 87 gauges with the 89 wiring??

GreenMachine
06-20-2002, 10:20 PM
so it has 3 plugs going to it and it is located at the actuall shifter
so it will be right under that panel for the ebrake/shifter - correct?

You said something about putting in neutral first, is that a neccesity, also about how big is this device, 1x4 etc. Thanx :bow:

GreenMachine
06-20-2002, 10:21 PM
I was thinking of using the auto gauge to I figure it is alot easier for to find one in good cond. or just find one . I guess if you make some white face gauges you would never see the shift selection. hmmmmmm.......

smufguy
06-21-2002, 06:55 AM
thats an excellent idea greenmachine. that would be fun to do it. esp on flexi-pvc of white plastic oooooo, time to get those white custom guages.:)

carotman
06-21-2002, 07:46 AM
The auto harness will work, however, like it has been said, you might run into problems for the rear wiper.

Also, the auto ECU is different and will need to be "fooled" to work properly, that's why you need the neutral switch. The ECU has to think that the car is in Neutral or it will not work properly.

You will also need to run wires to the manual transmission.

The wires from the transmission to the backup lights will not be present if you use an Auto harness (not sure bout this one)

The wires will be present around the shifter for the Auto harness. Just run new wires from there to the tranny

GreenMachine
06-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Hey Hornet maybe you will be able to help me here with this neutral safety switch, I got one - it was attached to the actaul auto shifter base/drivers side, held on by 2 bolts with, with 11 wires in a clip goig to it.
Well I got it and reattched it to the wire harness. It is white - looks like a little cpu chip thing about 4"x2" with a ground wire !

If you could let me now if this is the right thing that be wicked !
Alos have you used this and have you encountered any problems ? :confused: