PDA

View Full Version : Dual Carbs?

Techno
07-21-2003, 08:40 PM
Mod please do not move this. I searched but did not find what I was looking for. Two questions only.

How hard would it be to mount a b18 head (the head off the 85 Prelue I think) and carb setup on top of the a20a engine? And what if any gains would there be?

My Next door neighbor has an 85 Lude that she wants to get rid of. Engine is good but Drivetrain is shot.

Techno

Osiris
07-21-2003, 08:48 PM
From what i was told the head should bolt right up.

Techno
07-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Correction,

The only thing that is messed up on the 85 Lude is the Ball joints and the control arm. Far as I know the Trans is good.

What is the story with the 85 Lude Trans? Does it fit the 3G accord? Is there any benefit for putting in the Lude Trans?

Techno

sixgears
07-21-2003, 11:39 PM
not sure on the tranny but the motor is A18. Pretty much an A20 but with smaller bores. From what I've heard the head should bolt up and advantages are the large bore of the A20 combined with the smaller comb. chambers of the A18 head plus the commercially available weber sidedraft manifold. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?!?!?

shepherd79
07-22-2003, 03:12 AM
you are right. the A18 head will bolt right up to A20 block.
you can use lude trany with no problem. you will have to use lude flywheel and clutch too. Lude trany has closer gear ratio, which means faster acceleration.

funkytuqe
07-22-2003, 07:03 AM
The A18 head has better flow characteristics compared to the A20 head. And should bolt up. However there are different vaiations of the 1.8 lude motor and i don't know if they will all work up to the a20 block. The 85 lude probably has an ET or ET2 motor. The A18 is only found in the 87 lude unless that '85 has a swapp. The differences are very stubble between the lude motors (ET/A18), the differences being in the cooling and oil passage ways, they will all line up and bolt on but like i said, the passages my differ slightly if an ET head is bolted to an A20.

PhydeauX
07-22-2003, 07:13 AM
I thought it was the 84 lude with the ES engine that was slightly diferent then the ET/A18, but don't quote me on that. The carbed lude tranny won't fit your axles. You can either try to make the lude axles fit your accord (I belive all you have to do is swap the lude's hubs, but I don't think anyone's ever tryed it), or you can swap the accord's diff into the lude trans.

andy

funkytuqe
07-22-2003, 10:23 AM
I thought it was the 84 lude with the ES engine that was slightly diferent then the ET/A18

That is true, the earlier ES motors were CVCC. Like i said, the ET and A18 are almost exactly the same, just some slight differences in the cooling and oil holes. The two can be mated (ET/A20) but i'm sure there needs to be slight modifications made. Go with the A18/A20 and I don't think there will be any problems.