PDA

View Full Version : brake lights (dash and lamps)

detonator
07-22-2003, 06:42 AM
hi, my 88 accord lights up both the e-brake light and the rear brake lamp light(on the small car). they wont come on instant, I start up my car and push the brake pedal some 3-4 times and they both light up. I can't see why they light up at the same time, as they dont have anything to do with eachother? (one is for e-brake / brake system, and another one for brake lamp). I have checked brake fluid level and its okay, and the brakes seem to work fine. all rear brake lamps work too. could this be a short somewhere, and possibly where?

chriskatana
07-23-2003, 01:25 PM
have someone watch your fluid level when you press the brake pedal, may have air in the line causing the level to drop condsiderable whe under pressure. in which case you need to bleed the brake lines, as for the brake lamps, mine had the same problem so i changed out the bulbs. there is a fauty bulb somewhere and since the indicator on the dash is based on resistance, you have to find the bad bulb by swapping them out.

neoblue89lxi
07-23-2003, 01:45 PM
my brake light at the bottom of the little car came on too for a while. All i did was replace one of the brake bulbs because one of the double filamints were burned out. That fixed the problem for me.

Brettmans5
07-23-2003, 10:08 PM
i had a similar problem, the brake light on the little car would come on the minute i hit the brake pedal. I replaced the sensors and the wiring harness and that fixed it. I looked at the old parts and i fgure it was due to the amount of rust in a bunch of the sockets. best thing to do is go to a local wrecker and yank some harnesses and sensors that are in good shape. i got mine for 15 bucks, the honda dealers want 50 per sensor and 55 per harness. The e brake light i am not to sure about, check the sensor for the ebrake....other than that i am not to sure.

MrBen
07-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Mine (brake lamp in the little car) comes on like once a month, or something around that. Not sure what causes it, but when I shut off the car and restart it, it goes off. Weird.

Brettmans5
07-24-2003, 07:43 PM
I would definately be looking at the sensors mounted on the rear brake lights and the sensor that is mounted on them then. pop them off and check for corrosion.