PDA

View Full Version : D3 D4 2

mag_pbg
06-11-2002, 05:35 PM
what are the differences between them and can I shit from one tot the other with out the park ingaged

A20A1
06-11-2002, 05:40 PM
Park???

yes you can shift between them

D3 will drive the car with 3 gears... seems somewhat higher rpm shifts but nothing amazing.

D4 will use all 4 gears

2 will just leave your car in second gear and won't shift.

Einstein
06-11-2002, 07:06 PM
In my CRV I can shift to 2 to downshift with no problem. In the accord, if you pull down to 2 while driving the tranny goes into neutral and lets the engine spin up for a few seconds before engaging.

I guess use 2 for starting in snow ( or in an emergency when the tranny is broken )

carotman
06-12-2002, 12:54 PM
2 is useful when you live in snowy places.... or when you go in mud puddles..... (riiiiiiiiight)

smufguy
06-12-2002, 06:01 PM
hehehe, today on my 4g i circled the parking lot in 1, hehehe boy was it fun to see the tach rise and fall, rise and fall. yeah well its not my car, its my sis so i can do this right? :rolleyes:

A20A1
06-12-2002, 06:24 PM
Tisk Tisk :rolleyes:

smufguy
06-13-2002, 10:32 AM
:lol :lol :lol :p :lol :lol :lol

Afrosheen
06-13-2002, 09:03 PM
I drive around in D3 if I'm not going to go over 50. The truth is that my car just has no strength when it's in 4th gear and it likes to shift to that even driving slow.

One strange thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a 4 high/4 low. Those with automatics will know what I mean. When you're on the highway if you don't mash the pedal to the floor but push it down about halfway you'll feel it 'slip' a little then you'll have more power till it slips back into 4 high. I'm not talking about when you mash it and it jerks you as it drops into 3rd. You guys know? :confused:

Einstein
06-14-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Afrosheen
I drive around in D3 if I'm not going to go over 50. The truth is that my car just has no strength when it's in 4th gear and it likes to shift to that even driving slow.

One strange thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a 4 high/4 low. Those with automatics will know what I mean. When you're on the highway if you don't mash the pedal to the floor but push it down about halfway you'll feel it 'slip' a little then you'll have more power till it slips back into 4 high. I'm not talking about when you mash it and it jerks you as it drops into 3rd. You guys know? :confused:

This is the way all cars with a torque converter lockup work. When it "drops out" of lockup under various conditions it allows more slippage in the transmission which allows your revvs to go up and torque gets "multiplied" somewhat at the cost of some efficiency. VERY NORMAL!

POS carb
06-14-2002, 10:24 AM
Honda auto = regular 4 speed auto
D4 = regular operation
D3 = regular operation but only goes up to third gear, it won't shift to 4th (for towing or engine braking or whatever)
D2 = car REMAINS in 2nd gear, it won't even go to first, it's for starting in snow and for engine braking

you can shift while driving, just beware your RPMs. If you're flooring it and throw it in D2 the RPMs will jump because it takes time for it to find the gear (the CRV has an electronic transmission so it's built to delay that until it's ready to shift and it won't jump like that)