PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem

cubert
07-22-2003, 02:06 PM
well..my friend is planning on getting a 3g we found:D its an 88 lxi like mine and he found it for 1500. The only problem with it is when you get on the gas hard in any gear other then second it revs but doesnt really go anywhere. Its like the clutch is engaged a little bit. i wanna figure it out quick because we plan on driving to six flags next saturday and want to make sure the cars are set..so if the thing needs a clutch then i wanna get it done quick or if it could be adjusted or something....so any help would be great..

1988starter
07-22-2003, 03:12 PM
There is a black nut like thing near the fron the of engine bay that you use to ajust the clutch cable it is infront of the tranny give it a try and see what happens.

shepherd79
07-22-2003, 03:24 PM
it is probably needs a new clutch. my car used to do that when i got it. i was adjusting till i couldn't do anymore.
try adjusting it frirst.

cubert
07-22-2003, 03:59 PM
thanks guys:wave:

cubert
07-28-2003, 12:26 PM
one last question..am i turning this thing to the right or to the left? it may sound dumb but the adjuster is right in the middle of the thing and i want to be sure..thanks again...

cubert
07-28-2003, 01:33 PM
nevermind...i decided to try it and figured it out..woo

AZmike
07-28-2003, 01:36 PM
You need to unscrew it (counter clockwise) to make sure that the cable isn't preventing the clutch from fully engaging. Once the release arm has some movement (1/4 - 1/2 inch is fine) before the clutch cable is stretched tight, adjusting it an more will not help.

tedwright
07-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
it is probably needs a new clutch. my car used to do that when i got it. i was adjusting till i couldn't do anymore.
try adjusting it frirst.

:werd: had the same problem, guy i bought it from assumed it needed a clutch. just a few turns and the clutch holds strong as can be.....