PDA

View Full Version : For 3rd Gen Experts...

Dannys89
07-23-2003, 07:35 AM
I have a 89 Accord Lxi w/156K. My car is running extremely rich and hence it is extremely difficult to start with irratic idling and hesitation when accelerating. I've swapped out the fuel injectors, fuel filter, cap,rotor,plugs,wires, and PCV. I've checked all vacume lines using propane with no luck. The car isn't showing any trouble codes. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should check next ? Tracking down a Fuel Injected car running rich shouldn't be this difficult...should it ?

Thanks in Advance-

anchovies
07-23-2003, 07:46 AM
o2 sensors come to mind

Sabz5150
07-23-2003, 08:42 AM
Definitely oxygen sensors. If not that, then you've probably got a busted fuel pressure regulator.

Justin86
07-23-2003, 09:21 AM
Those the two you want to check. Get a universal O2 sensor at autozone for around $15 and cut&splice the wires. A stock O2 for a dealar is really fucking expensive. Pressure reg. shouldn't be too spendy. Good luck. :)

cruznz
07-23-2003, 08:54 PM
does it start ok when cold?

Dannys89
07-24-2003, 06:34 AM
Hey Thanks for taking the time to help...I was suspecting the O2 Sensors also but I thought they were tied to the check engine light if it is failing. Getting a one Autozone for $15 dollars and spliceing it is definetely worth trying though...do I need to get two of them ?

And Yes...it does start up fine in the morning. I know your probably thinking the Main Relay but my understanding of that relay is that if it wasn't working properly then I wouldn't be smelling fuel.

I will probably yank it out and test to at least eliminate that from the equation.

Danny-

Techno
07-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Dannys89,

Try checking your TPI (throttle Position Sensor) there on your throttle body. It may be broken or out of adjustment. I had the same problem with my car when I had my 89 Mazda MX6. I know it is not the same as the honda but the principle is the same.

If the TPI is bad then the computer cannot send the right amount of gas to your engine.

If I was you I would look at changing the TPI. It is about 60-70 dollars at your local parts store

Techno

cruznz
07-25-2003, 12:53 AM
might want to check the ECT too....just a thought,

joebeets
07-25-2003, 05:28 AM
Are you sure it's the mixture? Do the plugs have fluffy black deposits? Because no spark will cause a fuel smell too as unburned fuel goes out the tailpipe.

Dannys89
08-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Thanks again for the great input guys...I went to my local Autozone last week and they only had one O2 Sensor left. I did change one of them in hopes that it would cure it but no luck :(

I had them order me a second one and I let you know how it goes.

As for the TPI Sensor and ECT...wouldn't the 'checn-engine' light be on if they were failing.

I am definetely getting spark on the restarts and fuel pressure was checked at the fuel filter and was on the money.

If the remaining 02 Sensor doesn't solve the problem, I'll probably replace the fuel pressure regulator from a wreck and see what happens...

Sean
08-05-2003, 07:43 AM
eci might not always toss a code for an out of range ect sensor. that ecu is damn stupid.

Dannys89
08-07-2003, 05:51 AM
Well I picked up the second O2 Sensor yesterday along with their Free Loaner O2 Sensor Removal Sockets (wish I had for the first) and unfortunately the problem is still there. The Car wouldn't start. Had to hold down the peddle and after a couple of tries, the car would start. The idle was still funky and the car had a slight hestitation while accelerating between 25-35 mph. Let the car sit (in garage) for a couple of hours and the same thing would happen.

Before I start changing anything else, does anybody know if my old fuel injectors can be tested for leaking ? I did swap them out form one from a wreck with 158K miles on them so with the kind of luck I'm having I wouldn't be surprised if these are leaking also. If I could get my old ones tested, I could at least eliminate the fuel injectors from the equation.

Any thoughts or idea's would be appreciated...:(

Dibbs
08-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Does your PGM-FI light flash erraticly? If so:

Does it run sluggish when it's on and does your car hesitate when the light goes off?

That's the problem I've got...

Dannys89
08-07-2003, 11:57 AM
While returning the O2 Loaner tool back to Autozone, I learned something really interesting. If your getting any kind of Check Engine/Service Engine Light on your car, they will pull the codes FREE of charge...Now if only my check engine light would come on to help me fix this da#$ problem I'ld be happy.

Any way, thought you folks would like to know.