PDA

View Full Version : red tails help

staticpat
06-11-2002, 07:23 PM
i keep seeing the paint mentioned. krylon clear coat candy apple red paint. i cant find the stuff at walmart, autozone, or lowes or anywhere else ive looked. where can i buy some. is it actually clear coat red, or just normal candy apple red spraypaint? i don't know how i make something so easy so complicated. thanksss

GDGuy11B
06-11-2002, 08:04 PM
ok...here is what you do...forget anything else.

First, go to WAL-MART. Got to the model section. Look at all the pretty model paint to get high on. Search for a can of spray paint that says, "TESTORS transparent candy apple red" Grab it and take it to the cashier, give her 4 bucks. take it home, with a big grin of anticipation that your tails will be all red.

Second, get todays newpaper and tape. mask off the tails from the car..you can take the lights off, but its too much work to get the middle taillights off...mask off the backup lights...spray away...carefully, one light coat at a time. do it until you are satisfied. wait for it to dry, hey, you can even read some of todays headlines, then take the tape and newpaper off and be amazed at your new tailights...

Micah

87DXHatch
06-11-2002, 09:05 PM
Okay, I've read probably 7 or 8 different threads on red tails but I still don't fully understand how much of a differance it makes. I mean, my tail lights are red right now.

Can anyone post some before and after pics? That would be extremely helpful.

Afrosheen
06-11-2002, 10:49 PM
I think this mostly applies to the sedans/coupes. The hatchback tails are cool enough the way they are except for the yellow turn signals.

BoredRec
06-11-2002, 10:59 PM
My question is, why not just remove the lenses from the car, instead of taping up the sides of the trunk? That way there's no chance of spray painting the rear of the car a nice shade of red. I don't think the lenses are that hard to remove, just take out the bulbs and the nuts holding onto the metal.

BoredRec

Afrosheen
06-11-2002, 11:04 PM
In the hatch you don't have to remove the bulbs. Just disconnect the wiring clamp and unbolt it. I think it requires a #8 metric socket and about 2 cigarettes.

GDGuy11B
06-12-2002, 04:59 AM
boredrec- on the sedan/coupe, the outside part of the taillights come right out. i took them off, and masked the inside part. The inside part is one whole piece...the black plastic piece that the license plate goes on, you have to take the whole thing off, and prolly mask the black part off.

Jerren
06-12-2002, 11:53 AM
as far as WHERE to go, go to a hobby shop. not wal mart or autozone.

nanaimo_honda_accord
06-12-2002, 12:56 PM
i am in the middle of painting mine now. i am just waiting for the last coat to dry until i start with the clear coat. but yes you want TESTORS transparent candy read apple paint. its # 1605. i put like 9 coats on and so far it looks good. just remember DO NO OVERSPRAY!!! just quickly go over it twice then wait like 15 mins. i have my whole back end covered in newspaper but i am also using some cardboard to block out the paint from traveling down the side of my car and maybe end up on my car.

TeKKnoTeKK
06-12-2002, 01:12 PM
If you go to walmart you can use plasti-kote candy apple red too....I know they have it there because I saw it the other day. Just another option.

phatazzDX
06-13-2002, 07:17 AM
I took the extra time to remove the middle section as well as the cormer tailights. It is worth the extra work. I got the Testor Candy apple and painted just the amber section. Then I got some clear coat and sprayed the whole light assy. It's a little too shinny for me, but at least the amber lights are gone. It took longer to wait for the paint to dry than to remove and replace the lights, be sure to have a 6 pack handy to kill time. Now I'm thinking of getting the spray tint and smoking the tails. That should look tits. :super:

87DXHatch
06-13-2002, 07:45 AM
so has anyone painted some Hatch tails red? Does that make a big difference?

88LXiHB
06-13-2002, 12:34 PM
I dont think it would look right...