PDA

View Full Version : Any way of fixing the oil pan drain plug? Or should I replace it

legend9
07-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Well, my oil pan has no leak from the gasket. Only problem: the drain plug has been stripped. From what I know, it was stripped before, then it was tapped, and then its stripped totally. I think its about 1/2 inch, because I would buy the 1/2 rubber drain plug, and it fits in there perfectly. My question now is : Can I do anything else to this drain plug? I don't like the idea of using this rubber plug( its unsafe in my opinion). Can I buy a self tapping screw before than 1/2 inch? As well as, is it POSSIBLE to remove the oil pan? I know you have to remove the pipes, that should easy. Is that all to remove that's an obstacle in taking out the pan? Any suggestion would be appreicated.

Legend9 :tongue:

79EK1
07-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Autoparts stores carry drain plug repair kits. The other way is to find a slightly larger plug than the one you have now, and tap the drain hole larger to fit it.

legend9
07-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Hi, thanks for the comment. The problem is that I brought a car to a friend who is good with cars. He told me he cannot tap anymore. I think its touching the metal now, no teeth left. How is it possiblet tap the hard metal of the pan ?

shepherd79
07-23-2003, 05:22 PM
if you go to the autoparts store, you should be able to buy oversize drain plug. it will tap itself.

legend9
07-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Ok I will give it a go. Will that part be at the screws section, or it has to be through one of the guys that carry them in the storage section with other important tools ?

79EK1
07-23-2003, 07:40 PM
Taps are made of hardened tool steel, so they'll easily cut new threads in the reinforced section of the drain plug hole. It's easier to use the plug Alex mentioned. Saves time and they don't cost that much. If you can't find one in the oil change section, ask the parts counter people. If they don't have one, they can order it. It's a pretty common repair.

legend9
07-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Ok thanks. I will go to Autozone and ask them. My question now remains : the hole in my oil is 1/2 inch. Do I buy the screw 1/2 ? Or a lot bigger? Second question is : these "self-tap" mean I don't have to buy a tapping tool correct? Just screw these in and it will stay in ?