PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 87 Accord, more HP? How?

fuzzy audio
07-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Hey all. First off, I'm a compleate newb, so forgive me. I've rebuilt a couple of engines, and know my way around a car, but I have no clue about how to make more HP for less $. ;) Mine is a Carb, so I know that I don't have a whole lot of HP to start, but if someone could make some suggestions that would be great.

Thanks

Fuzzy

NXRacer
07-23-2003, 01:53 PM
SEARCH makes all kinds of kick ass mods for you car.

racerx
07-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Yeah, check out the the Carb Tech section under Technical and you should read the "important" messages at the top for a few ideas of SR intakes. Also, look under "How To" and "FAQ" for any common questions for things like exaust upgrades, intake upgrades, ignition, pistons, etc. You can also search the site too. If you can't find anything you're looking for, then make a new post and someone will point you in the right direction.

Personally, I think the cheapest upgrade for most horsepower is an exhuast. Get a pacesetter cat-back and a pacesetter cat and you should be good for noteworthy hp gains and mpg gains. It's not too loud, you will find, but it's not quiet. Besides, it's about performance, not looks!
Good luck and welcome aboard!

racerx
07-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
SEARCH makes all kinds of kick ass mods for you car.

Oh yeah, and all sorts of smartasses with nothing better to do will try to make you feel stupid for asking something like that. :rolleyes: Just don't listen. They think they're funny but it's lame.

NXRacer
07-23-2003, 02:00 PM
dont hate just cause you're a n00b to and got a similar reply.....:lol :flipa:

fuzzy audio
07-23-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by racerx
Yeah, check out the the Carb Tech section under Technical and you should read the "important" messages at the top for a few ideas of SR intakes. Also, look under "How To" and "FAQ" for any common questions for things like exaust upgrades, intake upgrades, ignition, pistons, etc. You can also search the site too. If you can't find anything you're looking for, then make a new post and someone will point you in the right direction.

Personally, I think the cheapest upgrade for most horsepower is an exhuast. Get a pacesetter cat-back and a pacesetter cat and you should be good for noteworthy hp gains and mpg gains. It's not too loud, you will find, but it's not quiet. Besides, it's about performance, not looks!
Good luck and welcome aboard!

Thanks racerx. I'll look into it. I don't even have the car yet. Gotta pick it up tonight. Nice though. 5speed, 139k, basics. Great shape. got it for $1k.

In all honesty I really dislike all the (puts on flame suit to prepare for the coming attacks) loud exhuast systems people have out there. Not that I can't appreciate it, but in my day to day driving just don't like it. I like it quiet. But I'll start looking into it.

Oh yeah, and all sorts of smartasses with nothing better to do will try to make you feel stupid for asking something like that. :rolleyes: Just don't listen. They think they're funny but it's lame.

Yeah, i know. I work at another forum (under a different user name) that's all about computers and trust me, the putting people down cause there newb's is all over. Just tells you something about... um... their....:rolleyes:

racerx
07-23-2003, 02:18 PM
cool. I got mine for 2k about 2 years ago with 150k.

Originally posted by NXRacer
dont hate just cause you're a n00b to and got a similar reply.....:lol :flipa:
Actually, I never got any replies like that. I just saw it happening to alot of others. Look at you, though; wow, been a member for a whole 7 months now!!! You must like some kind of veteran or something! Ever built a 1.8 Triumph GT6 to run 12's? NA? At 5280 FEET?! I didn't think so! How do you like me now, boyeeee? :stick:
:flame:NX - no substitute for the original NOS.

:flip: :flip: :flip:

NXRacer
07-23-2003, 02:33 PM
WOW :bow: u built a car! Good for you. Still doesnt make you better then me. (not that i'm saying i'm better then you). That reply is just a funny reply to a n00b post that gets posted 40 times a day. Useful to them (if they're not totally stupid) and funny to the rest of us who know what i'm talking about. So don't get your panties in a twist. Jeez.

fuzzy audio
07-23-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey, NXRacer!
I'm kind of near you. A lot of people around in the Pac NW?

NXRacer
07-23-2003, 02:37 PM
There are quite a few. Check out the Lets Meet section. There is an oregon meet coming up soon. Where about are you located?

fuzzy audio
07-23-2003, 02:39 PM
Olympia WA

MIK3
07-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Wow...this thread is really going some where...

Check out the Technical thread man.

racerx
07-23-2003, 04:21 PM
it's all good man. I'm just messin too.

od2681
07-23-2003, 05:00 PM
how much hp would a jet engine add????

BITESIZE
07-23-2003, 05:38 PM
5 hp

BITESIZE
07-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Just kidding. I don't know!

iloveJDMblackrims69
07-23-2003, 05:41 PM
hey man..... if you wanna gain very little (haha), flip your airlid...

cdscowboy
07-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Hey fuzzy, Mike's89accord lives in Olympia as well.

As far as the Oregon meet is concerned, it might be a drive for ya! It'd gonna be down in Grants Pass. We're planning on making it an overnight camping deal. Check the "Let's Meet" forum!!

Welcome to the board!! :wave:

fuzzy audio
07-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks cdscowboy! I'll look him up!

MrBen
07-23-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm way up north... don't think anyone else lives up here by me. *cries*

modu03
07-23-2003, 11:44 PM
yeah... you know the pace setter exhaust is a great placce to start.

It's a nice low tone, none of that dirt bike sound most imports end up with, and I really noticed a hp gain with that exhaust.

I got my accord from a junk yard about 2 years ago for $800 bucks (they get alot of previously stolen vehicles there). I just got the exhaust, custom cool air intake, and a heavy duty clutch... my best quarter mile is a 15.5... although no-one believes me on this forum... those who race me do!

fuzzy audio
07-24-2003, 12:33 AM
Cool. I will look into it. I'm very excited about this car. Though I have one more pressing issue, if someone wants to help out.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21259

fuzzy audio
07-24-2003, 10:12 AM
Would a really nice air filter give me a few more HP?

NXRacer
07-24-2003, 10:18 AM
if it was on the end of a short ram or cold air intake.

http://www.87accordlxi.com/coldair/coldair.htm

fuzzy audio
07-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Yeah, but mine is a carb so i can't do a Cold Air intake right?

89AcCOrDmike
07-24-2003, 11:06 AM
i'm in fed way....and my dad lives on lake tapps.....

fuzzy audio
07-24-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by 89AcCOrDmike
i'm in fed way....and my dad lives on lake tapps.....

Nice! It's so cool to see so many people in the NW. This rocks!

iloveJDMblackrims69
07-24-2003, 04:52 PM
dude i already told you........... flip your airlid.....

racerx
07-24-2003, 05:03 PM
You can get a K&N air filter from any local parts store and that will give you a little more power, but not too much. It's worth it, though, if you're not gonna get an SR or CAI.

Osiris
07-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Paint it yellow. Thats always good for another 10-20 horseys.

fuzzy audio
07-24-2003, 11:27 PM
You can get a K&N air filter from any local parts store and that will give you a little more power, but not too much. It's worth it, though, if you're not gonna get an SR or CAI.

Is it really worth the $40 for an air filter?

racerx
07-25-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy audio
Is it really worth the $40 for an air filter?

I thought so. It just depends on how long you're going to use it. I got 2.5 years use out of it and it's still a great filter. I just cleaned it a couple times.

fuzzy audio
07-25-2003, 07:34 AM
So did you actually take in to Dyno, or did you notice anything better on the track or anything? I don't know if you partake in either of those kinds of things but just wondering where/how you noticed a difference.

racerx
07-25-2003, 08:04 PM
:) Wow, don't I wish I participate in those... All I can tell you is driveability was a little better, throttle response was a little quicker, and gas mileage definately went up. It'll pay for itself. So will an exhaust and cat. My gas mileage was a little over 250/tank and now it's a little over 500/tank if that tells you anything. That was with a K&N, pacesetter cat-back and hi-flow cat. Now it's even higher with the SR!

The K&N improved my gas mileage by about 40-60 per tank. The filter costs $40. If you're stock you're probably getting about 260 miles/tank. That's with a 15 gallon tank (I think), so that's a lowsy 17.3mpg. With a K&N you're getting about 310 miles/tank. That's a slightly better 20.7mpg. At $1.65/gallon it saves you about $4 a tank. 10 tanks and the filter has paid for itself.

Sorry this is so long winded. ;) I always wondered about the math but never had the motivation to figure it out until now.

fuzzy audio
07-26-2003, 12:45 AM
wow. cause you know what? I drove my car a lot today, and filled up the tank. and almost all those miles were "in city" miles for me, which probably averages out at 45mph, being in a smaller community with more back roads. and when i filled up my tank and divided the miles by the gallons, it was 31.6mpg. taking a road trip this weekend, so I'll have a better judge than what i've done so far. but if the air filter is going to help me that much, i'll do it.

racerx
07-26-2003, 02:37 PM
oh...my engine was in crappy condition when I bought it. Some woman owned it before me and hadn't changed the oil in like 15000 miles!!! The tranny or timing belt had NEVER been replaced... I might be getting an SEI here in the next few weeks...

fuzzy audio
07-26-2003, 02:49 PM
very very cool

racerx
07-27-2003, 06:04 AM
Yeah, this lady said she'd pretty much give the thing to me if I changed her T-birds head gaskets that are blown. Since the thing isn't running, it's only worth like 3k, but if I get it running it'll be worth around 7-8k. So I said if I restore that much value to her vehicle, I'll take the SEI for about $400. I can't wait... :)

erics86dx
07-28-2003, 12:38 AM
hey fuzzy im from everett and i have one of those k&n filters too but mine was like 52 dollars for a 86 dx