PDA

View Full Version : Need help with audio wires

fuzzy audio
07-23-2003, 08:54 PM
K, I just bought a new Pioneer head unit. Well I go to install it, and the VERY OLD pioneer tape deck that was in it has basicly the same color wires. But the wires that went to the Tape deck went to All sorts of wires at the car. anyway, needless to say I can't get this mess to work. Anyway, if someone could tell me what all the wires mean from the accord it would be helpful.

Thanks!

fuzzy audio
07-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Oh, and by the way, i'm not getting any power.

88 Accord DX
07-23-2003, 08:57 PM
just make sure all the colors match. its pretty damn simple. also make sure your HU doesnt need to be directly connected to the battery.

fuzzy audio
07-23-2003, 09:00 PM
no it doesn't need to be connected "Directly" to the battery.

Here is the problem though. all the "stock" wires are different colors. And on top of that, i don't have the manual for the ancient Pioneer tape deck. But I did all that and I get nothing. meaning that I followed all the colors from the old deck.

88 Accord DX
07-23-2003, 09:03 PM
what do you mean the stock wires are different colors. mine wernt. did the old HU work? how are you connecting the wires?

fuzzy audio
07-23-2003, 09:24 PM
The old HU worked like this.

The HU Ground went to 4 wires
1. Blue w/Red & Green
2. Red w/ Black & Green
3. Blue w/Red & Yellow
4. Red w/ Black & Yellow

The HU Yellow (+ circuit with clocks and such) and Orange (straight to battey) All went to one wire (I'm 99% positive) which was...

1. White w/ yellow & red

Last (short of the speakers) was HU Red which is the ignition circuit. that went to

1. Yellow w/2 diff. reds

If you are wondering you can find my current manual at

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/Manuals/CarProduct/installation_manual_DEH-1500_20021241425301570.pdf

or the actuall manual at

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/Manuals/CarProduct/operation_manual_DEH-1500_2002124142426930.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fuzzy audio
07-23-2003, 11:06 PM
Okay. SOME screwball wired this thing all wrong. So here is now what I know.

From the car....
I have ID'd all the speaker wires.
There are 4 other wires, though there are only three listed in the manual.

There is the Yellow and Re (Ignition)
Then there is a
White and Yellow
Red and Black
And Black with orange rings.

Someone please help.

88LX-iSedan
07-24-2003, 01:34 AM
Damn, It's been a while sence i've visited 3Geez. ..Anyway, I happen to have a wiring schematic that i got from the honda dealer.

Red/Blk = ILL
White/Yellow = Power
Black = Ground
Yellow/Red = Ignition

After you've hooked all this up and if it still doesnt work, Check fuse 11 in fuse box under the hood.. It's probably blown if you didnt remove it before messing with the wires.

fuzzy audio
07-24-2003, 07:14 AM
Cool. Thanks. I'll check that on my break here at work.

But I'm still really confused. What is this black wire with orange rings? Is that the ground?

!Oh, and here is the other thing. The clock isn't working right now and is almost IMPOSSIBLE to see and isn't keeping time.

fuzzy audio
07-24-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by 88LX-iSedan
Red/Blk = ILL

What is ILL? I'm a newb.

fuzzy audio
07-24-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by 88LX-iSedan
After you've hooked all this up and if it still doesnt work, Check
fuse 11 in fuse box under the hood.. It's probably blown if you didnt remove it before messing with the wires.

So I take it when they say "disconnet the gound cable from the battery" they are serrious. eh?

ME
:stupid:

fuzzy audio
07-24-2003, 08:54 AM
Well, I checked it and it's blown. I didn't know that fuse was so important.:banghead: But would that still cause the CD player not to start even if both ACC and + wires were connected?

87DXHatch
07-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Replace the fuse and see what happens...

As for your clock, I'd look into replacing that. My clock in my old 87 was not very good, it was hard to see, especially with the lights on. In my 89 it's very easy to see/read.

fuzzy audio
07-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by 87DXHatch
Replace the fuse and see what happens...

As for your clock, I'd look into replacing that. My clock in my old 87 was not very good, it was hard to see, especially with the lights on. In my 89 it's very easy to see/read.

Gonna replace the fuse as soon as I get off of work.

As far as the clock goes, it was fine before i stated F***ing with everything.

88 Accord DX
07-24-2003, 09:56 AM
ILL means illumination. pretty much what it means is when your lights are on the display will get less power and be dimmer but you dont need it to be super bright at night.

88LX-iSedan
07-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Just as Accord DX said, ILL= Illumination...and Im not to sure, But... I'd say the "Black wire with orange rings" is the ground. Once you replace Fuse 11 the HU and Clock will work.

fuzzy audio
07-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Got it working. I had blown the number 11 fuse in the engine compartment. Thanks for all the help!

88 Accord DX
07-24-2003, 08:21 PM
lol doesnt that suck. you prolly connected and disconnected and connected the wires and all you had to do was change a damn fuse.