PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting the most out of your B20A?

AvgWhtMale
07-23-2003, 09:28 PM
Correct me if I am wrong (it happened before, back in the 80's), but isn't it true that, on the night of -- oh sorry, thought I was a lawyer for a second. Isn't it true that one reason the JDM B20A gets 160 HP is its agressive fuel curve. Then isn't it true that you will not get 160 HP out of a stock B20A unless you use the JDM ECU, or reprogram your ECU, or otherwise modify the fuel curve?

I have this gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach telling me that buying a B20A is not worth it unless it comes with an ECU. Or maybe that's just the pastrami sandwich I had for lunch. Either way, maybe it's like my friend's MR2, and the US & JDM fuel maps are on the same board, and all you have to do is activate the JDM one.

-"Steve": Better Living Through Monkey Jokes (Proliferating mindless drivel since 1987)

RobT5580
07-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Sounds logical especially if your running the A20A3 ECU. Im not all that knowledgable on ECU's but i would imagine it would damper the full potential of the motor. I think they do make chips for the B20A5 ECU which would bring it up to spec. Im planning on running a stand alone system (Electromotive) but i was thinking of trying the B20A5 ECU on the stock B20A i have just to see it in stock form.

Justin86
07-25-2003, 03:28 PM
Damn that could make a difference. Some one here with a B20 tells us the whats up.

88LXI
07-26-2003, 06:33 AM
my friend put a b20a in his accord and then had it dynoed... it was puttin 137 to the wheels and he is using the a20a3 ecu... but he also has a header so i dont know... i think that to unlock the full potential of the b20a then you would need a aftermarket ecu so you can program your own fuel curves ---- my 2 cents --- but that 137 to wheels isnt that bad

AvgWhtMale
07-26-2003, 11:28 AM
No, 137 to the wheels is not bad. I think the rated 160 HP for the B20A is at the flywheel, not the wheels, so he's pretty close. I'm surprised it's that high, actually. I am pretty sure the A20A3 ECU has a more conservative fuel map, and the B20A fuel map would kick more butt.

AccordSi
07-28-2003, 09:10 AM
I had the exact sentiments. My ecu and harness got fried. I searched for a JDM B20A ecu and searched and searched. I finally opted to use the DCOES, and with a bit more mods....I finally got some great performance..and I mean great.