PDA

View Full Version : Cracked crankshaft pulley

Aarie$$oul
07-24-2003, 05:48 AM
:( I'm fixing up my 86 honda accord. This is my first car and i'm not car literate...yet :) So I took it to midas...yeah i know ...never again but it was an emergency. They fixed a couple things and also told me my crank shaft pulley was cracked. My question..

what the hell does that do?! lol Are they expensive to fix? My car is driving fine so should i even worry about getting that checked again?:stupid: I building my car repair knowledge up so don't laugh at me.lol :flip:

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-24-2003, 06:36 AM
The crank shaft pulley is attached to the crankshaft end on the right side of the engine (looking from the front). This pulley is connected by several belts to your waterpump, alternator, A/C compressor, and P/S pump. If you look on the right side of the engine, you will notice that all the exposed belts meet at a common pulley. This common pulley is the crank shaft pulley. If it is cracked, it presents a great danger to safety because it may disintegrate while the engine is running. Try to visually inspect the pulley for cracks. Generally it isn't common for the pulley to crack unless it is defective or weakened in one place. Replacing the pulley is best done from underneath the car for accesibility reasons. In the process all belts will need to be loosened for the pulley to come off. I would suggest that you take the car to a shop(not Midas or something similar) and have them take a good look at it. If it is indeed cracked, it is best to replace it as soon as possible. The cost of the pulley online is: 153.71 at
http://www.drivewire.com/Cart/Front/Part.asp?partner=drivewire&yr=1986&suppliermake=HO&suppliermodel=ACC--005&make=11&model=429&category=

I hope you find this helpful. Enjoy your new car! :wave:

DBMaster
07-24-2003, 06:53 AM
I have some intimate knowledge of this one. Last time I changed my timing belt the pulley was stuck so I tapped on it lightly with a hammer to break it loose. Well, I BROKE it all right! Of course, I had no time to get one by mail. At my local Honda dealer, where the prices are not so good, I paid $141. If you buy from Majestic Honda (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com) it is $93.71.

It would seem that the previously mentioned online source is not very good since they appear to be even more than a Honda dealer!

guaynabo89
07-24-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Aarie$$oul
:( They fixed a couple things and also told me my crank shaft pulley was cracked. My question..

what the hell does that do?!

Its more than likely just nicked. Probably wont do anything unless your belts are loose. The broken edge might cut the belts if their too loose.

I really doubt its cracked, if it was it would have broken off completely. They're just trying to get a little more money from you.

Aarie$$oul
07-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Hey thanx alot guys. This info really helped!!!!