PDA

View Full Version : C/f

Techno
07-24-2003, 01:50 PM
I am thinking of making a custom part for my 86 LX. I am looking at making the entire front-end all one piece C/F. I am looking for mould building material now and will hopefully be able to start by the end of august. I will deffinately keep the stock headlights cause I love the pop-ups but I will be changing out the corner mounts so that I can put in JDM clears. I will also be looking at putting in an air scoop moulded into the hood area. I believe that I will be able to pin the piece down with six pins (four on the top and two on the sides). Also looking at putting in a hinge so that if adjustment or repair is needed on the engine, it would not be necessary to remove the entire shell.

It would for sure lighten up the car and I think the whole smooth lines would look awsome! :D

Techno

NXRacer
07-24-2003, 01:59 PM
dude if you can do it, more power to ya! I've heard CF is hard to work with.......unless you already know how to do that shit anyway.

Isnt a bumper made out of CF kinda pointless? As fragile as CF is (to a point) i wouldnt wanna risk hitting it and stuff. But other thinks would be cool.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Well it will shatter but it is very durable. I suggest if you make an entire front end of Cf then you better only drive it on the track. You don't see Indy cars made of all Cf drive on streets. Be kinda crazy b/c any bump or curb hit and it will break.

Techno
07-24-2003, 02:09 PM
The bumper is an issue to be dealt with. I think that I might have to make that a separate piece and then just make the line between the two close enough that it looks all one piece. I guess it all depends if you want to risk the money and the chance that you might rear-end someone or have someone hit you. That is a chance that we all take everyday anyway...only diff is that there is lots of time and money involved with a front end like that.
It would REALLY SUCK :burn: if I got done and installed it and a week later some one were to hit me! :crying: :crying:

Techno

Mike's89AccordLX
07-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Make sure your insurance will cover it. So then you wouldn't be fucked.

Techno
07-24-2003, 02:16 PM
The estimate to make something like this will be nearly 1600. I would need to make a mould first and then the materials to make the parts. I would be afraid to guess right now how long it would take me to make it. The mould will take the longest I think just to get it just right. Especially with making it fit custom corners and the cutout for the popups. I am still in the design phase right now and just hammering out the kinks.

Techno

NXRacer
07-24-2003, 02:24 PM
would it be easier/cheaper to do a mockup with fiberglass? Seems like it would be better to do it that way then waste the CF if you screwed up........or is that what you were gonna do anyway.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-24-2003, 02:28 PM
Is that with fenders? B/c bumper, hood, fenders is pretty good for all custom work with CF. Is that just material or labor?

Techno
07-24-2003, 02:30 PM
That is what I was going to anyway. Always make a cheap mock-up first and then if there is any problems you can always correst it before you spend all the money on C/F. You do not want to waste C/F!! You might as well shoot yourself in the foot if you do. C/F is not cheap!

Techno

Techno
07-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Mike,

That will be with fenders included. That is just the cost of materials. I will be doing the moulding myself. I cannot say what the cost would be to make one as I still do not know how long it will take me to make it.

Techno

wprocomp
07-24-2003, 02:44 PM
sounds cool...you will have to find new mounting points too...dzus fastners work well...but I wouldnt do it on a daily driver..if you are gong to do that I would make it in different peices...the fenders don really weigh much stock..I would get a CF trunk lid because its heavier...good luck