PDA

View Full Version : Dust Caps on shox...

jigga225
06-11-2002, 09:47 PM
I was just wonderin if everyone used the stock dust caps on the new shocks when you guys dropped your cars...
is it a must we use them? I bought tokicos and they didnt have any so I used the old ones... and I think theyre making noise hitting against the spring.

89accordlxi
06-12-2002, 06:21 AM
Yes, I have the tokicos as well and did use the stock dust cap. I don't have any rattling though. Are you sure you assembled the shock correctly. If so, I don't understand why it would rattle. Did you put the washer 13 on before the dust cap and then washer 10. Washer 13 is what keeps the cap from rocking and hitting the shaft. This is the only thing I can think of that would cause the dust cap to rattle, (if it is in fact the dust cap rattling that is.)

Peace out.

jigga225
06-12-2002, 08:17 AM
yah I feel you. I dont remember that clearly. But to tell you the truth, I dont think I put a washer on te bump stop and then the dust cap.

Damn. That means I gotta take all that stuff off again.
shit.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-12-2002, 08:58 AM
Well I had no intention of reusing honda's pathetic dustcap's. But I got a good dose of reality. The nice flexible KYB strut booties that I was going to use would simply not fit in the front, so I had to swallow my pride and put the honda dust caps back on, grrrr!
I was however able to use them in the rear, I like the idea that at least the rear struts are sealed from the elements that way. They are not easy to install, cinching the wire tire closed is a real pain!

OldSchoolSwap
06-12-2002, 02:17 PM
Dust caps? What dust caps? I don't need no stinking dust caps!!!:D

POS carb
06-12-2002, 03:10 PM
mine made noise, tightening down the top nut all the way fixed it (Tokico said not to but they can kiss my ass, I hate that rattly cowbell shit)

pearldrop
06-12-2002, 07:21 PM
I'm with you OSS. When the car is low enough to only have about an inch of the piston showing then there is no reason to have it. Besides that I smashed a couple of them when I first did it. If you want to go low then that is one of the first things that needs to go.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-12-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by pearldrop
I'm with you OSS. When the car is low enough to only have about an inch of the piston showing then there is no reason to have it. Besides that I smashed a couple of them when I first did it. If you want to go low then that is one of the first things that needs to go.

This is not the kind of sound advice that should be given here. You can leave them off if you want, but honda created them for a reason. Shielding strut piston rods from the elements is a good idea, illregardless of how much you've lowered our car. Pitted rod's is one of the first things they look for when a strut come in for a rebuild. Wanna argue with me on this, call gordon at koni, jack at bilstein and tiffany at tokico. You may find it convenient to leave them off, but that is not a good idea.

jigga225
06-13-2002, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the replys..
I tightened them up a lil bit and the noise went away.
Now I Can concentrate on the trunk doin the bangin.

OldSchoolSwap
06-14-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB

This is not the kind of sound advice that should be given here. You can leave them off if you want, but honda created them for a reason. Shielding strut piston rods from the elements is a good idea, illregardless of how much you've lowered our car. Pitted rod's is one of the first things they look for when a strut come in for a rebuild. Wanna argue with me on this, call gordon at koni, jack at bilstein and tiffany at tokico. You may find it convenient to leave them off, but that is not a good idea. :ego: I just don't have them on, that's all.:D

Jims 86LXI HB
06-14-2002, 06:19 PM
:D OH kay;)