PDA

View Full Version : cooling problems!!!

tightwhitelx
07-24-2003, 08:03 PM
:wtf:

after driving my car for about 10 miles at about 55 mph and i park my car starts smoking and my radiator resovior fills up and fluid is leaking on to the ground why is my car acting like this is there something that i can do to stop my car from overheating is there a aftermarket radiator for our car that will keep my car cooler with better fans . also white smoke was coming out of my exhaust too. it smelled like something was burning i get oil changes every 3,000 miles what could be my problem?

A20A1
07-24-2003, 08:21 PM
White smoke is coolant... coolant could be leaking into the intake manifold... have you replace or adjusted the carb recently?

Are you sure your fans work?

hopefully it isn't a head gasket problem from over heating.

maxoutracer
07-25-2003, 12:14 AM
check the thermostat, this goes bad ez. hopefull the head gasket and water pump will holds.

johnwc723
07-25-2003, 03:59 PM
yeah dude definetly check the thermometer hell just freakin replace it its REALLY EASY and it costs like $7 + some gasget maker. a good way to see if the thermoometer is bad is feel if the upper coolant hose is warm/has pressure in it compared to when the engine is off (this woudl be checked after warming up of course) but the "steam" in the exaust sounds like a head gasget problem (that sucks man, its a big pain) see if the exaust sort of smells sweet like coolant in addition to the co2/co/o2/c

Mac
07-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Check thermostat and cooling fans. Sounds like it could be a head gasket with white smoke out of exhaust. See if you have any evidence of oil in coolant or coolant in oil.

DBMaster
07-26-2003, 07:44 AM
I had to replace one of the head gaskets on a 79 Bonneville (350 V8) a long time ago that was doing the same thing. It was a VERY tiny break in one of the places where the coolant passage was next to the cylinder. You can confirm by doing a compression check. In my case, all cylinders had 150PSI and the bad one was 120.

Sounds like a head gasket to me, too, BTW.

KaMiKaZeE
07-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Yep, the white smoke is coolant reaching the combustion chamber, and the radiator overflow is most likely a bad thermostat and/or you need to bleed the air out of the cooling system.