PDA

View Full Version : Didn't know where to put this... antenna

fuzzy audio
07-25-2003, 10:18 AM
So i was reading through my Haynes Manual, and i found in the wiring diagram that there was a "manual" antenna and a "power antenna", what is the difference?

More importantly, do you think i could take a "power antenna" and install it if i have a manual antenna?

SteveDX89
07-25-2003, 10:20 AM
One lowers manually and the other by power. You could probably install a power one but you'll need the switch, the antenna, and motor. Probably other stuff too. Someone might know better than me.

fuzzy audio
07-25-2003, 10:22 AM
but when they say "manual" they mean by hand right? My old Prelude had a switch to do it with, all the other power antenna's I've seen just go up when you turn the stereo on.

NXRacer
07-25-2003, 10:26 AM
the accord power antenna isnt that cool. There is a switch to motor it up and down so even if your radio is on, the antenna can still be down.....go figure.

fuzzy audio
07-25-2003, 10:27 AM
true. Just was wondering more than anything else. I'm very bored at work. :rolleyes:

Mike's89AccordLX
07-25-2003, 10:32 AM
I was seriously thinking about replacing the antenna I have with a new one b/c I want the power antenna to work.

HostileJava
07-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by NXRacer
the accord power antenna isnt that cool. There is a switch to motor it up and down so even if your radio is on, the antenna can still be down.....go figure.

Actually I think that's very cool, I can put my antennea down for a more sleek look and leave my radio on if I want to listen to stations that come in good or if I'm going to listen to a CD.

fuzzy audio
07-25-2003, 11:28 AM
hmmm.....

I'll see what they have at the junk yard.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-25-2003, 11:30 AM
The junk yard is like a shopping mall for a tuner :) I like going there b/c you find so much cool stuff there.

DBMaster
07-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I pretty much only listen to CD's so the antenna stays down. I raise and lower it now and then just to make sure it works. If you leave it up all the time eventually it gets ever so slightly out of true so it binds as it goes down.

Really, power antennas in general were a good concept, but most of them end up with problems. Better to have one that looks decent, or is incorporated into the car in some way.

guaynabo89
07-26-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy audio

More importantly, do you think i could take a "power antenna" and install it if i have a manual antenna?

That is so difficult and annoying to do you'll probably wind up ripping you hair out.

Trust me its hard enough just swapping out manual antenna let alone installing a power one.

TO give you an idea of how hard it is, with the dash and fuse box off its still a pain in the a$$ to take out.