PDA

View Full Version : Is my tranny abou to go?

neoblue89lxi
07-25-2003, 01:58 PM
When i first get into the car every morning it is sometimes very hard to move the automatic shifter from park. I really have to jerk it to get it out. When i do get it in reverse the whole car jolts bad like the gears locked very hardly. Also when i'm driving it doesn't shift when i want it to. I try to give it more gas to cause it to jump to a lower gear but it just hesitates. Am i just flooding the hell out of my engine or what? I've never changed the feul filter for my 25,000 miles of owning it and don't know what previous owners did. Could that play a role in my problem when trying to get some quicker pick-up?

k-roy
07-25-2003, 02:34 PM
The answer is your tranny is probably low on fluid.
I reccomend switching to synthetic tranny fluid
and changing the filter if there is one on the tranny,
I don't know If there is one I have a five speed.
You should replace the fuel filter anyway.

neoblue89lxi
07-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Thank you Kroy. I'll be happy to geat more opinions if others have any.

johnwc723
07-25-2003, 03:45 PM
i have a MT but my transmission was kinda messed up (grinding into some gears when i shifted) but then i put some honda MTF in it as well as some Lucas Transmission fix, it seems to have fixed the problem (Im not sure which) but i would do that for sure because if you got some crap in there you want the genuine stuff
and the lucas really helped i think

meangreenLXi
07-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Yes the automatic has a screen filter in it, about $10. I didn't change it when I changed the fluid because you have to drop the transmission pan to switch out the screen. My next transmission fluid change I'm gonna change it out.

infecto
07-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Does the automatic really have a screen filter in it?

infecto
07-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Oh yeah thats right there is one but its a bitch and a half to get to.

88 Accord DX
07-26-2003, 11:47 PM
okay this is prolly a stupid question but you are pressing the brake when you shift from park to reverse right???

Elijah
07-26-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by meangreenLXi
Yes the automatic has a screen filter in it, about $10. I didn't change it when I changed the fluid because you have to drop the transmission pan to switch out the screen. My next transmission fluid change I'm gonna change it out.

The auto's don't have a tranny pan.I would say check ur fluid and make sure the car is running when doing so.

infecto
07-27-2003, 12:39 AM
First of all you don't check your fluid while the car is running....just check it while its off. Wouldn't it be suicide anyway to try and reach down to the cap to check it, would sure be hot lol. Also if and when you do change your fluid use honda ATF fluid that you pick up at the dealership its like $3-4 a bottle. A empty auto will take about 3.2 quarts give or take to fill up. Second of all you can't flood efi car at least I thought lol. When you say it doesn't shift when you want it too what are you trying to say? Autos are supposed to shift when they are supposed to that is if they are in working order. And that was a good question...are you pressing the brake in when you shift?

neoblue89lxi
07-27-2003, 06:58 AM
yes i press the brake. I want it to rev higher in each gear sometimes so i give it more gas but it hesitates at a low rpm instead on down shifting.

BITESIZE
07-27-2003, 07:37 AM
You're tranny is fucked like my automatic and everyone else's automatic on the forum. Don't waste your money on any additives for the tranny or any more tranny fluid. Buy a low mileage one from the wrecker or upgrade to 5 speed.

88 Accord DX
07-27-2003, 09:09 AM
my auto is still perfect.

neoblue89lxi
07-27-2003, 09:21 AM
Yeah i'm going to do the 5speed swap but i'm going to wait until i get a new engine to swap it with.

Elijah
07-27-2003, 02:20 PM
U are supposed to check it while it is running.If it is off it will most likely always say it's full we do not have tranny pans.So the fluid has to be circulating while it is checked.Look in ur manual.

infecto
07-27-2003, 02:41 PM
You got it backwards buddy you check the auto tranny with the engine off..heh....just checked in my manual too says so right there in print...

infecto
07-27-2003, 03:02 PM
oh yeah its usually trannys with pans that need to be running to check...=P