PDA

View Full Version : does pcv valve cause eratic tach

jerky_lxi
07-25-2003, 02:38 PM
ok guys i have replaced just about everything and sealed everything inside of my engine bay to resolve this eratic tach problem. It jumps up and down, the car will almost always turn off if i dont give it gas at first, because the tach drops way down and it does not get enough air. I sealed all the air intake parts, checked all the fuel injectors, new fuel filter, new fuel pump, new air intake, flushed the system with cleaner for the oil and injectors, checked for vacuum leaks and have found nothing. Only things i can think of is the fuel injector resistor or pcv valve. I bought a voltometer and a vacuum pump to test for the rest of them. What do i do to 100% check for a vacuum leak, i inspected all the hoses and listened for leaks, but dont hear any.

jerky_lxi
07-25-2003, 03:08 PM
if someone would help that would be great.....

1988starter
07-25-2003, 03:20 PM
sounds almost like a distributer problem take of the ca and rotor and shield behind the rotor and look for red dust also listen to it for a sound that sounds like a rock being kicked around.

jerky_lxi
07-25-2003, 03:36 PM
when i did my a20a3 swap i replaced my rotor and removed all red dust. I was told by a mechanic it is probably my ignitor?? have no idea what he was talking about. Does a pcv valve affect the tach?

jerky_lxi
07-25-2003, 05:13 PM
all i want to know is if the pcv valve affects the tach?

jerky_lxi
07-26-2003, 01:38 AM
tell me fuckers

od2681
07-26-2003, 05:56 AM
i think it does....on my cousins 4gee the rpm kept goin up and down and we changed the pcv valve....dont do that anymore

HostileJava
07-26-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by jerky_lxi
tell me fuckers

:rolleyes:

AccordEpicenter
07-26-2003, 07:44 AM
if it sounds like a small rock is kicking around in your distributor with the car running then you need a new one...

mugenprelude86
07-26-2003, 08:54 AM
i'm having the same problem dude except i have taken it even further... read the thread called " help guys my car is soooo fuct"

mugenprelude86
07-26-2003, 08:57 AM
also how do we put a PCV valve in because i have a new niehoff PCV valve sitting beside me in the box i just need to put it in and can't figure out how to get the old one out :help:

NOAHS88accord
07-26-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by jerky_lxi
tell me fuckers

HAHAHAHHAAHAHA yeah im gonna help ya know, HOW ABOUT FUCK YOU.

KaMiKaZeE
07-26-2003, 11:05 AM
NO. The pcv has nothing to do with the tach. The tach is just telling you what your engine is doing. If doing the pcv valve replacement fixes it, it is because it fixed a problem with the engine. Not the tach. Check the fast-idle valve too. If your tac jumps while the engine revs are steady, try lubing the tach's cable. If the engine revs are going up and down with the tach, then the tach is working perfectly and it is your engine that needs attention.

1988starter
07-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by KaMiKaZeE
NO. The pcv has nothing to do with the tach. The tach is just telling you what your engine is doing. If doing the pcv valve replacement fixes it, it is because it fixed a problem with the engine. Not the tach. Check the fast-idle valve too. If your tac jumps while the engine revs are steady, try lubing the tach's cable. If the engine revs are going up and down with the tach, then the tach is working perfectly and it is your engine that needs attention.

The tach does not have a cable it is driven by the negitive wires that go to the ignition coil soming of the distributer

Dibbs
07-28-2003, 06:47 AM
Many times, erratic idle is caused by the fast idle valve. The valve on your car is sidekicked behind the intake manifold near where the throttle body meets the intake plenum. The first thing I would do, if I weren't going to replace it completely, is change the o-rings. You can buy them from the dealer and they'll take a few days to arrive or you can go to an auto parts store that has a good o-ring set. Here are the sizes for the o-rings:

(2) 15.8 mm x 1.9 mm (very close to 5/8" x 5/64" standard)
(1) 31.2 mm x 1.9 mm (very close to 1-7/32" x 5/64" stasndard)

Here is the link to get a picture of where the valve is located and have an idea about what I'm talking about:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=3DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=THROTTLE+BODY+%28PGM-FI%29

You might also want to clean the valve with throttle body cleaner and get all the gunk out. Be careful when removing b/c you have to remove a coolant line that connects to the bottom. You won't lose much but be sure to refill your radiator when done. If this does not help you might want to think about replacing it altogether. If the spring inside is worn out, you can't replace it b/c Honda doesn't sell that spring seperatly. Hope the info helps and will keep you from calling the rest of us "F@#*KERS" for a while.

KaMiKaZeE
07-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 1988starter
The tach does not have a cable it is driven by the negitive wires that go to the ignition coil soming of the distributer
Yeah you're right, I was thinking of the speedo, heh. Anyway, the tach still has nothing to do with your pcv valve.:D

POS carb
07-28-2003, 03:28 PM
the coil going bad will cause the erratic tach and a weird idle when it gets worse

Mac
07-28-2003, 05:11 PM
A bad pcv valve most of the times gives you a low idle.

1 way to check it is: With the engine idling gently squeeze the hose(with a rag wrapped around it), you should hear a clicking noise.