PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting an electrical problem, please read

Project-LXi
07-25-2003, 05:34 PM
Ok this is really wierd, this morning, I turn on my car and immediatly notice my rpms reading at 0. First I thought maybe my car didnt start up right or something, so I shut it off started it up again and still had the same problem. Well, it turns out that all of the following things do not work:

Tach
Temp Gauge
Fuel Gauge
Turn signals
Digital Dash Clock

Im working on the problem right now, and I am determined to fix it myself. At my disposal is everything i could concievably need to fix the problem.

So my first question is this: are those components governed by the same fuse / relay / voltage limiter / etc? I am flipping thru a book with lots of scematics but there does not seem to be one for any of these components.

A note on the fuses: I used a test light earlier today @ work on my fuses both under the hood and under the drivers side dash, and they all seemed to work, however I could be wrong because as for the ones under the dash I did not test ones that were labled for things I was not concerned about.

Other than the above problems mentioned, the car runs fine I drove it to and back from work today with no problems other than the fact that the above components did not work.

As I am working on the car I will check this thread periodicly 2nite to see if anyone has some good insights.

Hopefully with your help I can get this problem figured out tonight.

Project-LXi
07-25-2003, 06:04 PM
feel free to contact me on AIM as well

Mac
07-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Check fuse #2. 10 amp under dash it is marked turn signals back up lights. I would suspect that your seat belt light, oil light, brake warning light, low fuel light and back up lights are also not working.

Mac
07-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Oh the clock might be something separate. Oops #2 fuse can effect the clock also.

Project-LXi
07-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Ok... well it was indeed fuse2 under the dash. damn I ripped my whole dash apart looking for loose wires, cause I thought I had checked all the fuses when I was at work. Well, thanks so much for the help, saved me a lot of time.

Mac
07-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Cool. It's always good when the fix is nice and easy. Thanks for posting the fix, it might help someone else out in the future.