PDA

View Full Version : Checked the compression...

goldyaccord
06-11-2002, 11:16 PM
I checked my compression for the first time owning this car.

148,000 miles on motor

#4 160
#3 150
#2 around 140ish
#1 90 (after that reading we put oil in the cylinder and rechecked the compression and it jumped to 140 psi.)

#1 cylinder rings is worn or the walls are scratched etc. etc.

I'm also gettin a knock sound at half a second at idle.
It can't be the vavles becuase i adjusted the lash so there's no slamming on the seats.

Is it possible to take the oil pan out and disconnect the rod cap and look at the crank or..... I dont know what to do.

ANy ideas?

Oh, Ester says she hears the knock when i'm shifting or accelerationg. The knock seems to be gone if i'm just coasting.
To me, that sounds like a rod being loose or something.

Josh

BoredRec
06-11-2002, 11:23 PM
Probably piston slap...usually you can hear it when you put a load on the motor.

BoredRec

goldyaccord
06-12-2002, 03:54 PM
This morning i went into town to get a valve cover gasket and a new air filter. Car was acting funny. The idle dropped alittle. while at a intersection holding the brakes, the check light came on blinking afew secs and then went away. I figured i better head home. After pressing the clutch to downshift while turning on to a different street afew blocks from my house, the car died and wouldnt start again. I walked back to the house in 90 degree heat (hot@!) and got Gramps to tow the car back to the garage at his house.

I told him the following problems also mentioning the the car didnt want to rev like it should. blah blah..

He got the car to start up again and it knocked pretty loud.

imediately we knew that the rod is loose.

I have two options.

tommoroow i'm going to take off the oil pan and see if i can get away with just replacing the bearings on the #1 rods. Also, check the crank to see if it's beaten up. If thats the case, i'll replace the bearing and then i can drive it to work and back, while saving money for another car. THEN, once i get a car i'll part out this car.

Other option is to just part out the car NOW and save for another car. Drawback to this one would be that i would have to Bum rides from my GF and her gramps.

Some of u may wonder why cant i just replace the motor. No, becuase i know that it means i have to get a new clutch, mounts, Flywheel resurfaced, fix all the dents and repaint the car.

I'd rather just part out the car and save for a LXI, preferrably a sedan or coupe.

Is it possible that i can get a great running lxi with good interior and paint for under 2 Grand?

Actually i wouldnt give a crap about the interior. i can just order new molded carpet.:pimp:

Josh

TeKKnoTeKK
06-12-2002, 04:09 PM
sure man....quite a few people have gotten their cars for under 2k, I paid a little more for mine (2300$)

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-12-2002, 04:22 PM
OldSchool just got his 88 LX-i sedan for $1500, I believe. Just have to shop around a little and you're sure to find a good deal

BoredRec
06-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Got my 88 LXi for $250....wasn't driveable at the time, but a little love and a lot of repairs got me a good working car for under a grand.

If you pull a rod cap, might want to check others, too. Since you're already there it wouldn't hurt to look. But I wouldn't put much faith into that crank...it's been beat up for a bit now...take it out and take it to a machine shop.

BoredRec