PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter Question

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
07-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Hi Guys:

Are the racing catalytic converters as efficient as the Honda cat-converter? I'm not interested in performance. I just want to pass smog without having to pay an extreme amount for a cat-converter (failing on HC - 200+ reading last smog check).

I live in California where the emissions are pretty strict.

Thanks,
Claude

KaMiKaZeE
07-26-2003, 10:44 AM
I don't think I've seen a "racing cat". Ususally the cat is removed and replaced by a test pipe for racing. There are "hi-flow" cats, but they are more expensive than a regular cat and I'm not sure if they do their job quite as well either. If you just need to pass emmissions, you might try this: Get a full tank of premium unleaded, add a bottle of Berryman's B-12 Chemtool to the gas, drive it until you've used about 3/4 of the tank, then on the day of the inspection, warm the car up for a good 30 minutes or more before taking it to get tested, and also try to keep the car running while it is waiting to be tested. A hot engine with clean insides will register much lower emissions. Try it out.

A20A1
07-26-2003, 12:31 PM
hmm I wonder... I've never tired this, but would hooking up the air suction pipe to a stable vacuum source give a little more oxygen to the cat?

C'mon POS CARB... tell me this will work and that it will lower some of the readings?

Also the EGR... perhaps.

A20A1
07-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Maybe all you need is a check valve and a vacuum canister (Taken from part of the Cruise control)... I'm trying to find cheap $20 alternatives.

pimp86LX
07-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Before my smog test i did a full tune up, new cat, new muffler('twas rotted it 'twas), replaced drive belts, timing belts, valve adjustment, fuel additive, and adjusting timing back to stock. you may think thats overkill but my emmessions was SO LOW it almost brought a tear to my eye :D:super: