PDA

View Full Version : test pipe to replace cat

jlaccord89lxi
07-26-2003, 02:06 PM
i went to a muffler shop yesterday and asked about getting a test pipe made to replace my catalytic converter. He said that he could do it pretty cheap, but would need the old cat so he could get the correct measurements and also to use the old flanges. The bad thing is that my old flanges are part of the reason i want to get rid of the cat...they are warped and distortded and they won't seal properly with my front pipe and res pipe. Is there a place online that i can actually buy this test pipe piece instead of going this route? I remember a long time ago on Ebay people would sell them and call them "hi flow racing cat's", but really they were just a straight pipe that replaced the cat, but at least it would be the correct size and flanges. Any help?

shepherd79
07-26-2003, 02:27 PM
i never saw one. i got mine when i bought headers, but i was lucky because the guy didn't wanted the test tipe so he gave it to me.
the other thing you can do is take the cat and remove the insides.

jlaccord89lxi
07-27-2003, 01:14 PM
this is what i mean, but for our gen accords. Will this fit though? How similar are the 4th gen exhausts to the 3rd gen exhausts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33633&item=2424873684

bobafett
07-27-2003, 03:46 PM
if its not a ghetto ass exhaust shop they should be able to MAKE the flanges. at my local shop they told me if i ever needed anything else (such as bigger flanges off the cat side of my downpipe) they could just make them whatever size i needed...

so either that shop doesnt know what the fuck they are doing, or they are jacking you around. because i saw BINS AND BINS of flanges, and they can just machine one in house if they need to. :)

i dunno.. but u should be able to get away from the original stock ones. they probably just need to see the type of bolt configuration that they will need to work with. :)