PDA

View Full Version : Crank bolt

Mac
07-27-2003, 09:01 AM
Does anyone know how to get off the crankshaft pulley bolt without going and paying someone to do it?

I tried Pb Blaster soak, heating the bolt, 1/2 in electric impact gun all to no success.

That sucker just don't wont to come off. Any ideas?

Thanks.

DBMaster
07-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Electric won't cut it. I did end up paying a mechanic all of $5 to break it loose for me. Hand tightened it and then drove it home to do the timing belt.

I read a few different ideas here about how to do it, but save yourself the headache!

guaynabo89
07-27-2003, 04:27 PM
breaker bar with a very long pole( 5-6 ft)

One big screwdriver with one big person holding it while you break the bolt loose.

Dibbs
07-28-2003, 04:21 AM
Pneumatic impact. Only way to go.

Sabz5150
07-28-2003, 04:36 AM
My friend and I took a breaker bar to it. Sheared an extension and split a socket. Craftsman extension too. After enough work, it came loose.

Best way I've found to keep the pulley in place is to have someone put the car in fifth and hold the brakes. Dunno what to tell you about an auto.

IWLSF
07-28-2003, 04:52 AM
Yeah good luck, those things are torqued to around 180ft-lbs on most cars.

DBMaster
07-28-2003, 06:36 AM
With the automatic if you don't block the pulley or flywheel in some manner all you will do is turn the engine.

Why is everybody so violently opposed to slipping a local grease monkey $5 to spend 30 seconds breaking it loose?

Anyway, I found out that my next door neighbor has a compressor and impact tools. Next time I guess I am going to be able to do it at home!

Sabz5150
07-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by DBMaster
With the automatic if you don't block the pulley or flywheel in some manner all you will do is turn the engine.

Why is everybody so violently opposed to slipping a local grease monkey $5 to spend 30 seconds breaking it loose?

Anyway, I found out that my next door neighbor has a compressor and impact tools. Next time I guess I am going to be able to do it at home!

Driving with the crank pulley bolt loose might have something to do with it.

KaMiKaZeE
07-28-2003, 11:21 AM
I'm with Mike on this one, just pay someone to break it loose. However if you must do it yourself, use a big-ass 3/4 drive breaker bar at least 3 feet long and a hadened carbon-steel socket. Better make damn sure the engine can't rotate and the car won't move either. You wouldn't want to have the car up on jackstands and then end up applying so much force that you knock over the jackstands and have the car fall.