PDA

View Full Version : power sterring/speed sensor quesion

toaster13
07-27-2003, 10:47 AM
about a year ago my car gave me an error, it ended up being the speed sensor, i never had it replaced, because no mechanic i talked to said it was that important, it still gives me the error randomly, and more and more lately there is some smoke coming from the engine when i pull up to a stop light, i don't know if they have anything to do with each othe
but after reading some posts i assume the smoke is from the power steering, does the speed sensor have anything to with the steering and how hard is it to replace?
thanks guys..

shepherd79
07-27-2003, 10:58 AM
you want to replace is anyway, because your ECU is giving you and error message.
it is very easy to replace it. it is located on the top of the trans. Follow the speedometer cabel and you will find it.
It has two power steering hoses connected to it.
you will need 10mm or 12mm (can't remember) to uncrew the bolt. after that you should be able to lift it out. It will need some force to take it out. i had to use 2 pry bars on each side. it is very tight fit.
oh, manual and auto trany speed sensors are diff. spees sensor from auto is a little longer, but it will work in manual trany. i don't know about the other way around.