PDA

View Full Version : Scary sound when I start the car!

rlj51
07-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Hey guys,

I have an 87 Acccord LX, carburated, 5-spd. When I start the car when its cold, I maked this rattling sound. Its hard to describe, but its like metal rattling on metal. Its pretty loud, but it seems to get quiter as I drive it. The car still runs fine, temp normal, no check engine light, etc. But I am afraid something is about to break. Could it be my water pump, alternator, or some accessory like that? Has anyone else ever had this happen in their car? It just started doing it about a week ago.

Thanks!
Randy

shepherd79
07-27-2003, 02:43 PM
ok, it could be your air suckshion valve.
it is lockated in the front of the carb. it runs from one side of the engine to the other. you can't miss it. try disconnecting the vacuum tube (don't forget to plug it). see if it helps.

maxoutracer
07-27-2003, 02:47 PM
might be your clutch chatting with the flywheel.

rlj51
07-27-2003, 07:25 PM
Well it makes the sound at idle or when driving if that helps...so I don't think its the clutch.

A20A1
07-27-2003, 08:31 PM
What about the exhaust heat shields.

Hmm, dam I forgot which hose it was to disable the Air Suction Valve.

Dibbs
07-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Bad exhaust hangers causing the piping to rattle?

shepherd79
07-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Dibbie
Bad exhaust hangers causing the piping to rattle?
yeah that could be too. i have this problem right now.

RustyHo88
07-28-2003, 06:47 PM
where is the rattleing coming from? I remember a year or so ago, i was test driving an 89 honda prelude, that made a rattling sound when it started, and intermittantly while you drove it. i didnt buy the car of course, but the guy selling it said it was the catalytic converter. ive never heard of this happening, but if all else fails, give it a look. i would guess its probably a loose or broken exhaust mount. but hey... im no expert

rlj51
07-29-2003, 04:00 PM
Well guys it turned out to be the A/C compressor! So if you hear a weird rattling/rasping sound from your car (And the A/C doesn't work) you know where to look. The shop quoted me $900 to replace the compressor, do a flush, and convert from R4 to R134. Too much money for this old car, so I just had the compressor disabled and it doesn't make the sound anymore. Pretty lame huh?