PDA

View Full Version : How much HP is lost from alternator???

88 RaceCar
07-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Ok, here is a good question, how much drag does the alternator take on a little 4 cylinder? How much will I benifit from disconnecting it. A preldue i keep racing on the track still pulls me and he runs no power steering or alternator. Let me kno, thanks

shepherd79
07-27-2003, 02:49 PM
you can't disconnect the alternator, because you have water pump on the same belt.
you won't see much diff without alternator.

88 RaceCar
07-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Well i kno it has a drag, but i want to kno how much, and yes, i will get different size belt and run no alternator aand see what happens i think.

HondaBoy
07-27-2003, 03:47 PM
realy, taking that off will not be much notice of difference. someone i know with a sentra did this and also with the A/C compressor and it didnt do much but have not A/C. thats about it, i would say leave it there and do something to your fuel system. put a better flowing pump and lines. ive found this adds noticeable power for fairly cheap.

infecto
07-27-2003, 04:02 PM
Yeah it doesn't do enough to make it worth it. Your going to be charging alot of batteries eh? I mean unless its not your daily driver but a pure race car do it. But whats the point of making a racing machine out of a 88 accord?

88 RaceCar
07-27-2003, 04:07 PM
becuase in our town we have a class where you race stock 4 clyinders but can do little things here and there to gain HP, it is a bunch of fun, cuz we do take it serious, it is fun tho.

HondaBoy
07-27-2003, 04:07 PM
thats what i was thinking. that your 3gee is a daily driver. if so, it realy wont be worth it, but for something thats only track driven, its alright, but still wont make much difference to help.

infecto
07-27-2003, 04:08 PM
I would say a good rebuild of the engine would do wonders...

Justin86
07-27-2003, 05:41 PM
Can you swap engines in this little club.

88 RaceCar
07-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Well, depends on what engine you want to put in it, i just blew my motor up last week but i am putting another 3g motor in it but with colt cam and trying to get cam gear made for it.

iloveJDMblackrims69
07-28-2003, 07:39 AM
well cant u like buy a good cheap b series or somethin? youll dominate.

88 RaceCar
07-28-2003, 08:48 AM
But will a b series bolt in or does it need moutns wleded in? cuz it has to looks tock but they dont kno much about imports so as long as it looked normal it would work.

BITESIZE
07-28-2003, 08:57 AM
A b20 isn't worth the money or time without a b20 ecu. Get an ecu with the b20 and it will be worth it. And yes the B20 mounts right in, becuase it was made for our car in japan.

88 RaceCar
07-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Hello agian, oh ya, forgot to mention, only allowed to run single over head cam, right now that fastest guy there is a 87 prelude. let me kno what else.

pip
07-28-2003, 02:46 PM
get an 85-87 crx they can hold off dual carb preludes

88 RaceCar
07-28-2003, 02:47 PM
Ya i would liek that but this 88 accord i got, has good brakes, good foundationt o go from plus the cage and all safety gear is in this one already, i wouldnt mind just keeping this car, what will me putting a new sets of piston rings in it do for me? Would it tighten everything up and get some lost HP back?

pip
07-28-2003, 02:49 PM
yeah rebuild the engine the best way to go, is ur accord carb'd or EFI?

88 RaceCar
07-28-2003, 02:51 PM
It is EFI, today I ported and polishe dteh intake manifold the best i could, and it is stick too, i already called colt cams and he said i have to choices of cams, one is pretty good and the other is a wild cam made for carbed cars so my car wont idle but since my car on the track which is oval is always above 4000 and below 8000, he said it would be nice to get that one. WHat else u think?

infecto
07-28-2003, 03:09 PM
rebuild the engine from ground up....thats what

toastyghost
07-28-2003, 04:18 PM
here are some things that will help when going stock-looking all motor..

1. bottom end: high-comp pistons, balanced/lightened/knifed crank, aluminum or shaved flywheel
2. fuel: port matched intake manifold from a b16a, b17a, b18c1, b18c5 as well as some performance fuel system bolt-ons that go with that manny like bigger injectors, rail, pump, lines
3. valvetrain: get the wild grind from colt that you mentioned and if you get an adjustable cam gear, probably a mild like 1-2 degree timing advance would help noticeably
4. ignition: iridium spark plugs, low-res plug wires, msd 6A or some similar aftermarket ign ctrl sys for 4-bangers, accel coil and the like i've heard those are good for the money
5. tranny: race clutch/plate package like centerforce, act, clutchmasters
6. computer: less conservative fuel/spark curves = more power across the entire powerband
7. maintenance: often overlooked but very important. synthetic oil and tranny fluid, flush, new belts, distrib, fuel filters, and high flow air filter or you might consider an aftermarket or custom intake if it's allowed

88 RaceCar
07-28-2003, 04:28 PM
Okay, thanks for the help, the ignition wouldnt be allowed, so no coils or nothing like that. Going by everyone elses motor is stock, i think a wild cam from colt cams and a mild port and polish should be able to do it. Remeber, i dont want to lap guys or nothing liek that cuz then they wonder how my "stock" accord is lapping other stock accords out there, i just want enough jam to be able to pass them then just lead to checkered, thats the idea.

A20A1
07-28-2003, 05:56 PM
You need to increase your oil PSI...
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=131494

88 RaceCar
07-28-2003, 10:15 PM
I guess oil pressure will help me since my car is always screaming for 10 minutes straight. What other little tricks is there? I see all these coolant lines running into my throttle body, i want to get rid of these, on a normal GM throttle body they dyno after removing them 6 extra horse, think i will benifit from getting that hot air out of my intake? It is only there to warm it up in cold months, which i dont need, right?

A20A1
07-28-2003, 10:58 PM
You could modify a heat spacer from a B18c5 or B16 to help prevent heat soak from the head to the intake manifold... (you may need longer intake manifold studs)

As for coolant line removal... I'm not sure if you have any thermovalves that run off those extra coolant lines... but if you don't then remove them for sure.

Make your fan run always on with ignition

Don't be afraid to leave some slack in the valve adjustment when you first install the wild grind from colt.

I've been running Valvoline 20w-50 VR-1 Racing Oil with a K&N gold filter.

Don't run too much ignition advance either... you don't want your motor detonating like mine did.

88 RaceCar
07-29-2003, 08:14 AM
Hello, agian, so how much slack do i leave once i put that cam in? And as for ther fans, the switch is righ ton the dash, once the car is fired up and we line up into position i got them running both the whole race. And i am goign to remove the coolant lines and as for as timing, i need to retard, not advance, retarding will give me the top end i want, not bottom end, like i said, i only need top end power.

NXRacer
07-29-2003, 08:42 AM
If i were you, i wouldnt remove the alt. because you'll have a less powerful spark because it'll only be coming from your battery.

Also, i've heard from a few honda techs that its not a good idea to polish your intake manifold or ports because you need a rough surface for the air/fuel msixture to be mixed properly. But it is a good idea to polish your exhaust ports and manifold.

A20A1
07-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer

Also, i've heard from a few honda techs that its not a good idea to polish your intake manifold or ports because you need a rough surface for the air/fuel msixture to be mixed properly. But it is a good idea to polish your exhaust ports and manifold.

Polish the area before the fuel injectors... if you polish after the injectors the fuel may stick to the manifold. But with the amount of work involved you're better off buying a B16 or B18c5 manifold that flows better to begin with.

88 RaceCar
07-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Hello, the intake manifold part is already done smooth.....tonite the cylinder head is goign to get ported and poslished, but i did the research before all this work was done to take mine off and everyone said that it is not an easy job to swap the intaked to a b16......is that righ tor wrong?