PDA

View Full Version : How many carb drivers need to pump gas to start?

TJ89Accord
07-28-2003, 06:13 PM
Hey, just wondering if you guys with carbs have to pump the gas to start it? I have to pump the pedal once, then she starts right up. But a friend of mine can just turn the key and it will start. Oh, it starts right away if it is warm already. If I don't pump the gas, it will crank for like 15 seconds before it starts.

tim

zero.counter
07-28-2003, 06:26 PM
*Raises Hand* I do!

A20A1
07-28-2003, 06:31 PM
I wonder who's going to lie and say they don't have to pump the gas. :lol

J/K

dXsquared
07-28-2003, 07:12 PM
i just put it to the floor and start it... then it starts and revs to like 2000 and i let off right away... but i could just pump it and start.. i like the rr.r..r.r.r... vroom.. instead of just starting...

Travis

Mike's89AccordLX
07-28-2003, 07:55 PM
When I first got the weber I didn't but I have noticed that I have to just tap it once and it will start. I think I need to upgrade my ignition b/c that could be the problem.

johndej
07-28-2003, 07:58 PM
when we got back from vacation, we had to pour gas strait into the carb of my dad's old van to get it to turn over. luckly i have efi in the 3 g though.

MrBen
07-28-2003, 09:04 PM
I have to tap the gas pedal for a second, then let off, then start. It's pretty normal in carb cars to have to do that though.

TJ89Accord
07-28-2003, 09:40 PM
yah, I hate carb, I hate waiting for the idle to drop. I'm too impatient...

tim

POS carb
07-29-2003, 11:57 AM
pumping the gas once closes the choke. It also shoots a small stream of gas into the primary barrel which helps start the cold motor.

1988starter
07-29-2003, 12:02 PM
I had to pump my old carb monte carlo t is normal even the oners manual says you have to.

shepherd79
07-29-2003, 12:02 PM
i don't have to pump the gas. it starts right up.
I am not lying.

babboyyawdie
07-29-2003, 03:07 PM
POS:toilet:

Morpheus
07-29-2003, 06:07 PM
Only when its cold.
I like to rollstart it down my driveway sometimes. :D

JT55
07-29-2003, 08:16 PM
With my old battery, when the car was cold, I had to pump the gas like crazy to start it. When hot, it would start OK with one tap on the gas pedal.

I just got a new Optima, and so far it starts very easily when cold. I just press the gas pedal once before I turn the key. If I remember correctly, the manual recommends this. Anyway, the new battery has made a BIG difference.

JT

Morpheus
07-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Kia?
ummm...
:D

SteveDX89
07-30-2003, 12:27 PM
I only have to pump it when it's cold. It's become such a habit that I end tapping it when it's still warm. :Smacks foot: "Damn you!"

markmdz89hatch
07-31-2003, 05:19 AM
the hatch is the daily driver for now, and just like Steve, it's become part of the routine. Pump once, turn key. But the other 3G that doesn't get started but maybe once a week, she requires me to pump the shit out of the gas to start it. Oh well.

All carbed cars, unless you have a switched fuel pump to prime it, will need that little tap just to get some gas for ignition.

NXRacer
08-01-2003, 12:35 PM
gotta pump the gas pedal like CRAZY when i cold start my Corona wagon.......... :D

i.c.
08-04-2003, 09:19 AM
i had to pump it today it's been sitting for two months

hondaaccord_86
08-04-2003, 02:27 PM
I pump 3 and it starts roaring nicing from a goodnight's sleep. :lol It nice however in the afternoon, when its warm... the engine starts pretty smooth after a chill morning.

MIK3
08-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Yeah. I pump the pedal once about 3/4's the way down. Then turn the ignition and it starts right up. And when it doesnt, I just pump the pedal a 2nd time, and it rev's up and starts. I don't like waiting for the idle to drop to 900rpm, so right after I turn it on, if it's high idleing, I pump the pedal once and it drops. Then I shift, and I'm gone.

Pro_Mod_Accord
09-15-2005, 12:36 PM
34,282,012 Voters....hhhhmmmmmm I think this is wrong...LOL

A20A1
09-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I may have tweeked it a little for fun... :)

88accordalltheway
09-15-2005, 11:42 PM
I may have tweeked it a little for fun... :)
lol mike u freakin dork! You have way too much free time as a mod...

accordlxi2.0
09-16-2005, 05:59 AM
when i had my 88 lx a20a1 helped me out and i figured how to start without pressing the gas pedal...while not having a fast idle....ahhh good times, good times.

leia
09-16-2005, 08:55 AM
My 3g is EFI so I don't have to, but my old car was an '88 VW Fox, definetly had to pump the gas (and tell her nice things) to get her to start.

sleeperheaven
09-16-2005, 09:04 AM
mine starts every time without hitting the gas just get in and turn the key

TJ89Accord
09-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Wow this is old lol. I haven't had to pump the gas in about two years now :). (Haven't had the 3g for a while...)

tim

Cheeseburger
09-16-2005, 09:52 AM
dam!!! ya i have to push on the gas dam lx lol

SiR
09-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Its my thieft-deterent!

3rdgenhatchDX
09-16-2005, 01:52 PM
well my cars a lucky 5speed so as long as its in neutral i just turn the key drop the clutch and E-brake and go!
and yes it is carbed...

tightwhitelx
09-23-2005, 03:53 AM
i always pump and kiss the steering wheel used to work for me all the time well except when i used to run late for high school and i used to bang on the steering wheel and say please start you pos then it usually started.

RiCANACCORD
09-23-2005, 05:31 AM
as someone said before, it is normal. Carbed cars need gas to be pumped in order to start. Even carbed airplanes need to be pumped, such as the old Cessna. In planes it is even a procedure that has to be done as part of the before starting engine checklist. It says: push the throtle twice, and set it in a 3/4 position. That is why I will never switch to FI, my carbed accord, and the huge wing make my frustrations about being a pilot go away. :)

SiR
09-23-2005, 07:16 AM
i used to bang on the steering wheel and say please start you pos then it usually started.
Hahaha, that reminds if Back to the Furture.

huge wing make my frustrations about being a pilot go away. :)
Your a student pilot?

RiCANACCORD
09-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Your a student pilot?

Yes sir! But my parents said they were wasting their money with me so I quit. My dad and his comments...(sigh) :-(
The flight school I attended is located in TJIG(Isla Grande). Anyhow I did enjoyed my time there. I have five flight hours which I accomplished in a Cessna. Are you a fighter pilot?

If you have any flight sim in your PC, and want to fly you can contact me anytime, I have a few private pilots who fly online with me. They are pretty cool guys. One of them has a bachelor degree in aereonautics. We try to do it as realistic as possible. What planes do you fly? how many logged flight hours you got? my pleasure captain! :rockon:

HondaBoy
09-23-2005, 02:46 PM
with mine, i really only have to pump the gas if its been sitting for many hours. also, if its cold it will need to be pumped sooner if its been sitting. that's perfectly normal for a carbed engine and is pretty odd if you dont have to. this old ford van at work doesnt have to be pumped when i've ever started it. it usually would sit for weeks before i'd have to drive it. i think it may have been FI, but they said it was carbed. i dunno. on my friends '83 audi coupe, he has to pump the gas when starting it. it has mechanical FI though, so its kinda wierd.

SiR
09-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Yes sir! But my parents said they were wasting their money with me so I quit. My dad and his comments...(sigh) :-(
The flight school I attended is located in TJIG(Isla Grande). Anyhow I did enjoyed my time there. I have five flight hours which I accomplished in a Cessna. Are you a fighter pilot?
If you have any flight sim in your PC, and want to fly you can contact me anytime, I have a few private pilots who fly online with me. They are pretty cool guys. One of them has a bachelor degree in aereonautics. We try to do it as realistic as possible. What planes do you fly? how many logged flight hours you got? my pleasure captain! :rockon:
That sucks that you cannot continue flying. Its had work, but the hardest part about flying is finding a job. I fly a Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante. I have over a 1k hours, but cant stop now. Im currently in the talks with two different airlines to work for, unless i get bigger plane to fly with my current airline. I really wish I can help you get more experience, do you want to make it a career one day?
I never really tried to use MS2k4 online, seems like fun if you can communicate with voice like the comm radios.

RiCANACCORD
09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
That sucks that you cannot continue flying. Its had work, but the hardest part about flying is finding a job. I fly a Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante. I have over a 1k hours, but cant stop now. Im currently in the talks with two different airlines to work for, unless i get bigger plane to fly with my current airline. I really wish I can help you get more experience, do you want to make it a career one day?
I never really tried to use MS2k4 online, seems like fun if you can communicate with voice like the comm radios.

Wow 1k hours! how long you've been flying?

I wanted to work for Vieques Airlink, a company who take tourists to an island off the east coast of Puerto Rico. I could probably worked for them since they were located in the same ground office as the flight school was, and we were all a family.(Most people here don't even care about flying)Almost every student that got their private license after the flight school worked for Vieques Airlink afterwards.

I wanted to make it my first successful career, since I've tried to be a Class A+ Computer technician, boxer, guitarrist, anything that I liked, and could help me get a decent job, but my father wants me to be what he wants. It sucks.

Right now the only thing that I could become is a preacher or something like that. I have no talent at all. I mean, I've tried all but I never finish. This means that a know a little bit of everything which makes me useless.

About the MSFS04, it is super fun. We make a group to travel from x airport to y airport, or even more challenging: The warplanes carriers! It is lots of fun! There is a feature downloaded from the jeppensen database that is called real-time weather. The name says it all! If it's raining in your house, it is raining in the game! Whoa! As a matter of fact I'm gonna install the game later tonight so I can fly through hurricane Rita, or at least try...lol

Scenery is realistic, cockpit is very detailed( there is even a 3d version of the cockpit). You must know all of this man, you must be surrounded by airplanes junkies! :rockon:

Low Tek
09-23-2005, 05:47 PM
I have to pump the gas liek 5 times in the S10.. damned old carb anyway.... sigh.

89AccordLX2dr
09-24-2005, 06:35 PM
34,282,024 said yes, to 5 starts right up? I made the 5th btw :P