PDA

View Full Version : Nobody can help me with my EFI...Have so many questions....I seek answers. HELP~!

BootMachine
07-29-2003, 01:24 PM
My fellow Accord brothers....how are you?

I'm new here...my first post but I'm from the OttawaPrelude club. Yes I have a Gen-2 Prelude (Gen-3 accord..more or less) so this is why I'm here. I have questions about my A20A engine and nobody seems to be able to give me answers!

First I would like to say that I love the Accords and if I had of known about the Accord Aerodeck B20A I would have bought one of those instead of my prelude...but now I have a prelude and I love it!

oh..and if anyone here is looking for the A20A -to- JDM-B20A (Gold Top) engine conversion.....there are 4 B20A's here in Ottawa I can get my hands on. No transmissions though which is why I dont have one in my prelude!

OK..on with the questions

QUESTIONS!

1) I have a little black box full of Honda magic that I cant figure out. I have opened it up and found two valves inside. One is easy...its the advance/retard for the vaccuum dist..but the other??? WHAT IS IT? There are 3 vaccuum tubes going to it and a few wires....it is connected to my throttle body in one of the tubes and when I remove the vaccum line my engine stops dead. What is so special about this valve? What does it do? Please explain!

2) On my A20A engine I have two pieces of the intake manifold that are causing me a lot of confusion. The first is the pipe leading off the valve cover into the intake box. This is to scavenge fumes from the crank case I guess..am I right? Also...if you take the intake manifold off there is a little hose on the bottom where it attaches to the block somewhere...in one of the intake pipes at the bottom...what is this?

3) When I first bought my car I was a fool and took a bunch of stuff off my engine without knowing what it was....I was thinking "yeah...take the crap off you dont need and you get more HP".....this was dumb and now that I know what I'm doing (for the most part) I'm paying the price! There was this device that had a vaccuum line running to it that was mounted off the engine. It was small with a black cap with a little screen in it. It looked like it was to allow air to enter the intake upon a signal from the ECU...or something....I thought it was for the air conditioning so I pulled it off with the AC components. I thought that when you hit the AC button the engine would be under more load at idle and this would compensate for the drop and allow the engine to function smoothly....was I right?.....well...now there is just a vaccuum cap on the hole where it was connected to the manifold and something strange happens when I pull it off....the engine gets caught in a look and revs go up and then back down. It is not random. It is for sure a computer doing this. NOW...how does it do this and WHY if it has NO control over the butterfly valve in the throttle body. It must be changing the AF mixture for some reason....whats going on in my engine?

ANyway....I'll start with those questions....someone has GOT to know the answer to these. Please, please, please help me..someone. I have been everywhere and I get a diff. answer each time that makes no sense.

Once I understand the full functionality of my engine I will re-build it from top to bottom.

NXRacer
07-29-2003, 01:28 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21382

this should help you with your vacuum box problem........

also, searching will help you find a lot of answers.

BootMachine
07-29-2003, 01:35 PM
not at all....but tnkx...

My box does not have that much stuf in there.....and plus...I know how they are all hooked up.

I want to learn HOW these pieces function. Where the vaccuum pressure goes, what it activates and what signals are sent from the ECU.

I need to lean more in-depth information!

1988starter
07-29-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by BootMachine
not at all....but tnkx...

My box does not have that much stuf in there.....and plus...I know how they are all hooked up.

I want to learn HOW these pieces function. Where the vaccuum pressure goes, what it activates and what signals are sent from the ECU.

I need to lean more in-depth information!

Those picts are for the 88,89 accord yous is similar to the 86,87 The hose from the intake manifld to the block is most likely a coolant line take it off and see if coolant flows. AS for the surge when you take of the tube plug it is probably increasing the idle because it probably compensates for power loss when the ac is on.

1988starter
07-29-2003, 04:36 PM
If you can tell me how many vacume lines are going into the black box I should be able to get you the right diagram or if you send me your e-mail adress I can send you a zip file with all my diagrams from that year.

BootMachine
07-30-2003, 10:55 AM
my e-mail addi is [email protected]

I think there is 5 lines running to the box but i'm too lazy to run out and check. Send me as many as you can and I'll figure it out.

The line at the bottom of my intake pipe IS a coolant line. I took it off and coolant came out. It runs to a little mechanism down there that has ANOTHER hose that runs down behind the engine to a little black box. I know this box is full of oil because I took it apart once and could not figure out what it did!

Is this a valve that opens with coolant temp and allows the intake to SUCK in oil vapours from this black box? This is sucked into the manifold AFTER the butterfly valve to at idle its operating under vaccuum. I think the one on the valve cover does the same thing but its BEFORE the butterfly valve sucking in fumes during acceleration!

1988starter
07-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Ok I sent it to you it is from [email protected]

1988starter
07-30-2003, 05:56 PM
I just got mail saying that your adress was not found so send me a letter and I will reply to it.