PDA

View Full Version : OK, at the risk of getting some way out answers!

DBMaster
07-29-2003, 02:15 PM
OK, since the hot part of summer is here I will ask this again and hope someone has actually experienced this problem. I have had it for several years now and even the mechanics at my local Honda dealer were baffled.

This happens only when it is hot outside and the engine is hot as well. When coasting the engine surges. You can feel it and see it on the tach as well. It does not happen ALL the time, but it only happens when the engine is fully warmed up and temperature is above 85 degrees, or so. There are no other driveability issues and the engine is operating at normal temp (about 1/2 way up on the gauge).

It's really more of a minor annoyance, but I would love to figure out what is wrong and fix it. Anybody else experience this?

Thanks!!

shepherd79
07-29-2003, 02:26 PM
did you try see if there is ECU Errors?

DBMaster
07-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Alex,

I will answer posts as they appear. :)

No ECU codes. Like I said, there are no driveability problems, the Honda dealer didn't find anything wrong (the problem won't happen when I need it to!), and it passed emissions with flying colors.

It's too weird. I am almost convinced it is the distributor because I have seen the telltale "red dust" in it since a long time ago (I have over 207,000 miles), but unless I am sure I don't want to go spend those kind of bucks to replace it. That's why I was hoping someone else here has had a similar problem and fixed it.

Thanks, though! :)

DBMaster
07-29-2003, 06:08 PM
Oh, I should also add that I have in the last three years replace both the EACV and the fast idle valve. The EACV was not really bad, but replacing it did help with the issue of not holding consistent idle speed. The fast idle valve was simply not bad, but it was cheap enough that I thought I'd just try replacing it. Both parts were replaced with brand new Honda factory parts ordered online.

Not like a rock
07-29-2003, 08:32 PM
Mine does the same. But it only started to do it AFTER I took it to the dealership to get something else fixed. I know that my vacuum advance unit is leaking, so that might be it.

DBMaster
07-30-2003, 06:17 AM
Good thought, rock. I tested my vaccum advance unit a couple of years ago and found that it was, in fact, leaking. So, that was replaced back then with a brand new one (Honda dealer, $75, Majestic Honda, $45 - OUCH!)

thundertank
07-30-2003, 03:39 PM
hey mine does that too only when its really hot out though. i live in az so it gets really hot. but yeah when i take it out of gear and roll up to a light sometimes it will idle faster. kind of a surge.
havent fixed it. runs fine otherwise.

DBMaster
07-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Tank, I wonder if it has the same cause. You have a cabed car and mine is FI. Are you still on your original distributor? That is one of the few common items that MIGHT be the culprit.

The fact that mine runs fine otherwise is the reason I haven't really gone all out to try to fix it, but it gets just a little worse each summer.