PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tranny goes QUAACK when cold

Accordie
07-30-2003, 01:59 AM
Has it happen to anyone? I got an auto where in the morning when its cold, ur starting up ur car and u press it and shift down from P to D4 and it goes QUAAaackk.... sounds terrible.
Then when the car is heated after a few hours drive and u put it back to park then put it in d4 it doesnt make that noise no more...
What do u think is wrong? can i fix this, like maybe change Transmission fluid or add any addictives? Or am i stuck with it cause thats how it is for old cars?

shepherd79
07-30-2003, 03:22 AM
try changing fluid. add some lucas oil to it.
if that doesn't fix, you need a new trany.

joebeets
07-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Like gears grinding? This is a known problem that requires replacement of three internal trans parts, which no longer slide freely. Three fluid changes are recommended, as each only removes 50%, to try to free them up, but you'll probably have to live with it.

HostileJava
07-30-2003, 09:32 AM
Are you sure it's not your breaks chirping? When the engine is cooler it idles at a higher RPM, when you shift into D4 it sends a little surge of power to the wheels when the Tranny engages the engine. This always happens but it's a little more poweful when shifting from a higher RPM.

maxoutracer
07-31-2003, 12:16 AM
all 3 of my 3geez accord in the past did that, werid... seem normal to me cause i heard that shiet so offen...

SiR
07-31-2003, 12:16 PM
The sound he is mentioning that it sounds terrible is not normal. Like sheperd said, try changing the fluid see how that goes. Normal is when there is no sound but the sound of the engine at a lower idle when in gear. Is the EX f.i or carb?

wannaswapab20
08-01-2003, 07:38 PM
we had a 87 lxi at worka nd when u put it in gear it would do that. this guy i kno his girlfriends car does that too