PDA

View Full Version : Redoin' the Interior

89Accord_R
07-31-2003, 06:30 AM
Does anybody have a clue of where I can get my seats redone in leather? I have no clue where to start looking. Need some help!

dXsquared
07-31-2003, 06:34 AM
look for an upholstry shop in your town... if you live in the sticks, drive to a town, or look in your phone book

and i would get vinyl, because leather is a bitch in the summer with out AC

Travis

89Accord_R
07-31-2003, 06:46 AM
If I go to a smaller shop, do you know how much it will cost me? I don't want to spend TOO much.

dXsquared
07-31-2003, 07:27 AM
leather will be about 500 for the front seats
vinyl will be like 300 ish.. depends on the shop

89Accord_R
07-31-2003, 07:37 AM
Thanks.

markmdz89hatch
07-31-2003, 08:02 AM
it all depends on the shop. Make sure you look at their work before you hand them any $$ to do your seats. Some shops do fast, shitty jobs, and some will have your seats for 2 weeks, but they'll come out looking perfect.

Remember, there's never a set price for upholstery work. They give you an 'estimate', which means you can talk them down from that a little instead of just taking their price. Around here in CT, you'll never get a full recover in leather on front seats for even close to 500, you're talking more like 800-1200 for that. For vinyl, about 400-800. It's not so much the material you're paying for, it's the labor. Of course, you might be able to get it cheaper somewhere else, but the work will certainly be reflected in their work. They have to cut the pattern and custom fit everything.

Both vinyl and leather will suck just as much as the other in the summer. Both will burn your ass off in summer, and both will freeze your ass off in winter.

I would suggest calling up Katzkinz. You can get the whole cover kit (front and back seats, and door panels) in your choice of colors for around 1200-1400. Check out TK's ride, his is a black/purple katzkin kit.

89AccordLvr
07-31-2003, 09:10 AM
does vinyl look like leather and feels as good as leather

HostileJava
07-31-2003, 09:24 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH. NO WAY. Vinyl neither wears like leather nor feels like leather.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-31-2003, 11:00 PM
I am going to need to recover my leather next year, and I found a place in town that will usually do front and back in vinyl for 500CDn or a bit more, and leather I heard they will do 1000cdn front and back.

89AccordLvr
08-01-2003, 08:39 AM
does vinly feel better then cloth fabric and looks better cuz i dont wanna go worse then my stock seats

markmdz89hatch
08-01-2003, 08:42 AM
nah, you peel off vinyl just like you do leather. IMO, I like cloth seats as far as comfortability, but if I had the option of leather at the same price, I would do it. Other then that, for everyday driveability, hands down, cloth.

Vinyl and leather look good, but be prepared to sweat in the hot weather.

sanjay
08-01-2003, 08:49 AM
i'm doing mine myself.
Keep in mind I'm only doing the door trims.
Anyone got any pointers?

Perhaps, it's more fun in the journey?

89AccordLvr
08-01-2003, 08:58 AM
i plan on doin vinyl or leather only in the rear because i plan on gettin momo or sparco seats in the front so it wont affect me only people im driving lol.

markmdz89hatch
08-01-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordLvr
i plan on doin vinyl or leather only in the rear because i plan on gettin momo or sparco seats in the front so it wont affect me only people im driving lol.

Actually, what I saw in an '02 Celica when I went to the car show at the local raceway, was that it had two red sparco seats up front, and the guy had bought the same fabric that the seats were made with (from sparco) and had the rear seats, door panels, and shift boot all re-upholstered with that fabric. That looked VERY rood.

markmdz89hatch
08-01-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by sanjay
i'm doing mine myself.
Keep in mind I'm only doing the door trims.
Anyone got any pointers?

Perhaps, it's more fun in the journey?

Sanjay, as for doin' it yourself, PM me, and I'll tell you what I found to work best when I did mine.

Hash_man_Se_i
08-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Actually, what I saw in an '02 Celica when I went to the car show at the local raceway, was that it had two red sparco seats up front, and the guy had bought the same fabric that the seats were made with (from sparco) and had the rear seats, door panels, and shift boot all re-upholstered with that fabric. That looked VERY rood

Saw the same on a Prelude here at a show. The back also had the little black things almost where sidebolsters would be in the back seat, and it had sparco stitched in to it. It looked like the seat cover was made by sparco.

AvgWhtMale
08-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by 89Accord_R
Does anybody have a clue of where I can get my seats redone in leather? I have no clue where to start looking. Need some help!

There is a good leather shop in Lancaster, PA. I don't remember the name of the place but if you call Nick at Centre City Imports in Reading ((610) 376-4440) he can tell you. Don't tell him I sent you, because I didn't buy an '89 SEi 5-spd from him a couple years ago...