PDA

View Full Version : Header Question

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-12-2002, 02:35 PM
which type of headed is better?
Ceremic or Stainless Steel"
I know ceramic based products guard againts heat, but I am not to sure on stainless steel products!!!royalblue

Jims 86LXI HB
06-12-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
which type of headed is better?
Ceremic or Stainless Steel"
I know ceramic based products guard againts heat, but I am not to sure on stainless steel products!!!royalblue

Since the ceramic coating is really thin, I doubt it's doing anything with heat other than keeping it's appearance from turning bad.
The question I'd have on stainless would be how much does it weigh over the ceramic headers and which grade of stainless is it. I think they use the grade that does discolor a bit, but I'm not sure.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-12-2002, 05:44 PM
I would have to check on the weight, The reason I am asking is because I am interrested in purchasing a Dc Header...either ceramic or Stainless steel..

TeKKnoTeKK
06-12-2002, 06:10 PM
goodluck finding one

MoonScryer
06-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Jim (suspension mod) looked all over hide and hell to finally find ONE ceramic header in Canada.
DC Sports moved their production facility, and is filling an immense backlog, by demand first. Since headers for a 3rd gen aren't in demand much, they are low on the list. Figure 6 months.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-12-2002, 06:22 PM
It will be worth the wait.......Im Broke now anyways.....Hope I will have the money by july.....

Jims 86LXI HB
06-12-2002, 09:40 PM
It will be worth the wait.......Im Broke now anyways.....Hope I will have the money by july.....

Your wait will start once you pay for them in full. I couldn't stand the thought of someone having $300 of my money for who know's how long. So I emailed anyone that had the header at the price point I was willing to pay, $289-$329. In my email I asked them if they had one on hand ready to ship or if they had to order it from DC Sports. After about 6 weeks and about 15 emails I finally got a yes on one of my emails. I called and purchased it the next day.

BTW, I like the header allot, I now have power pretty much to redline. In all, the header fattened my midrange and highend. A added plus, that no one has talked about ,is that they weigh a fraction of the stock cast iron manifold.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-13-2002, 06:35 AM
Ty for the advice Jims..Maybe u can help me with this... What is a cat-back exhaust system...?The reason I ask..is because When I purchase my headers ( hopefully in this lifetime )
I would lile to replace the whole muffler system..my real concern is...Since I have an auto tranny I would an exhaust system That does not make to much noise...

Jims 86LXI HB
06-13-2002, 08:34 AM
Ty for the advice Jims..Maybe u can help me with this... What is a cat-back exhaust system...?The reason I ask..is because When I purchase my headers ( hopefully in this lifetime )
I would lile to replace the whole muffler system..my real concern is...Since I have an auto tranny I would an exhaust system That does not make to much noise...

If you crawl under your car and look at the exhaust system the cat-conveter is directly below where your shifter is inside the car. So a cat-back means your replacing all the piping from the cat back to the muffler. I elected to do a resonator back system. If you follow the piping going backwards from the car you will see a place shortly after the car where the exhause piping gets real fat for like 14" or so, that's your resonator. I could have replaced it with a glasspack, but didn't want to spend a extra $40. Keeping some kind of resonator on your system will help lower the sound levels of the exhaust. My system is louder, especially between 2200rpm and 3200rpm. After that it seems other sounds take over from under the hood. BTW. I used to be able to arrive home and now one would hear me, not anymore, they know I have arrived now.;) I get the impression that you may want something thats not as loud as my system, I'm really puzzled at the thought of that performance muffler would make less noise than the dynomax. If I could think of a way to record the sound it makes I'd do it and mail it to you,...hmmm.:rolleyes:

Hoshizakido
06-13-2002, 10:36 AM
i have the dc ceramic its light. i pulled off the stock manifold and the thing was heavy probably 30+ lbs. All stainless steel headers change coolers and i meen all of them. The plus side of a dc header is that it bolts right upto your catalitic converter.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-13-2002, 12:31 PM
I bet it sounds sweet!!! But I am guessing u have a manual tranny...My tranny ( i mean the one in my car ) is auto...auto cars performs systems sounds a bit funny!!! Thats one reason I want something light..unless I can make it sound like a stingray 69 vette!!!:p