PDA

View Full Version : No more 3rd gen for me....

.:1987 LX:.
07-31-2003, 08:25 PM
My 3rd gen's head gasket was blown. :( Now I gotta get a new car. It'd cost about $1000 + for the repair!! >.< Hella sucks. And although a car IS a car, my moms got a deal worked up for a 90/91 toyota corolla 2D hatchback for $500 bucks. It "supposedly" in working order and in good shape. "Supposedly" cause that's what i was told about my 3rd gen. This time it was checked out by 2 diff mechanics tho. AND it's an automatic... man this sucks, I want my 3rd gen back!

It was in hella good condition too!! Now I got some corolla crap >.<

A20A1
07-31-2003, 09:07 PM
How did the head gasket blow? Overheating?

80% of the cost is labor you know... assuming its just the gasket needing replacement.

08-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Actually I was thinking, if i could find someone willing to do it other than the mechanics dudes, I can keep my car *_*.

It'd cost about $1000 to fix it. Hopefully I can find someone else to do it, or even do it myself if I can get instructions. Or convince my lazy dad to help me.

Does anyone live in the sacramento area? willing to help me out? I live in Antelope more specifically.

To answer your question A20A1:

I have no clue. I don't know shit about cars. All I know is that when I poured radiator fluuid into it the day it was smoking (I assumed a tube/pipe blew resulting the pop + large puff of white smoke) plus I found radiator fluid strewn about the engine. And the engine doesn't turn over. Just gives a out a kind of, screeching noise. It's not the alternator, it's brand new. My dad said, and hoped, it wasn't the head gasket but supposedly it is. But.. it didn't over heat when i was driving it. (I was at an intersection when I saw and heard the puff of smoke/popping noise, then down the road I started to lose power (acceleration) and my car wouldn't respond when I depressed the gas pedal.

if you guys can help me out that'd be tight shit!!!

Sean
08-01-2003, 03:47 PM
buy a used engine for like $250 and pay a mechanic like $250 to install it. it sounds like you only have $500 to spend and you get to keep your 3g.

08-01-2003, 11:33 PM
I guess theres more to it. After talking to my dad and shit and being in the position I am in. I guess I'm gonna get a diff car and if i still want a 3rd gen I'll just come back to it later! it's all good, I could fix it, just most of the money comes from my parents

thanks tho guys i appreciate it

Chadroper
08-02-2003, 07:40 PM
It sounds like it overheated. The head gasket is only about $50. It will take about 10 hours to replace it yourself.

08-03-2003, 12:19 AM
Yeah I looked it over and shit. Check this out tho;

I was out with my mom in Roseville, driving her Astro (I need the practice =P)-buying shoes and new clothes and shit. And we drive by this dirt lot, the kind people put their cars that are for sale in there (duh) so my mom tells me to turn in there and we sart looking at a few. An 80's Toyota MR2, what looked like a 2000 Camaro on hydraulics, and a lowered 1987 Acura Legend.

Guess which I wanted?

I instantly was attracted to the Legend so I go look at it. It's Manual, it's got a sunroof (electrical- I didn't find this out til later tho), practically brand new Kumho tires (I think they're 15s), and is super clean on the outside.

$300 or best offer. :eek: My mom was totally psyched, (she's so tyte! lol =P) She was just excited as I was. So we call the guy up and he says he'll come on by and meet us and what not. My mom originally offered $250 on the phone but then gave him $290 (We actually gave him $300 but he gave back $10 cause it needed gas, REAL nice guy).

Sooo the guy comes on over after a few minutes and we talk about the car, the only thing it needs is brakes and bad. And 2nd gear pops out if your not on the freeway (I guess if your speeding up it won't stick). We go to the guys house later that day and pick up the car. Everything is in working condition. The brakes; metal on metal. You could hear the screeching/grinding. It was wearing grooves into the rotor if it hadn't already.

The interior on my 3rd gen is in better shape than this but the outsides WAAAY cleaner and in much better shape. The dude cut the springs tho, :\ so it's HELLA bouncy-it's all good. The headlights look brandnew and awesomely clean. It's also got a front lip.

THIS THING IS TYTE :O :pimp: I'm gonna clean it and I'll actually take pics this time even tho I say I do all the time and don't, I'll do it tomorrow. I'll also show you my 3rd gen that hit the bucket.

:flip: I feel so cool again.

EDIT:
Originally posted by Sean
buy a used engine for like $250 and pay a mechanic like $250 to install it. it sounds like you only have $500 to spend and you get to keep your 3g.

The head/top half of the 3rd gen was rebuilt. if that matters.

Oh yeah and the Legend only has 150,000 miles on it! :|

Eric89Carb.
08-03-2003, 12:24 AM
I think it might just be the anti freeze p;lug i had that problem and if it is that good luck that shit is hard to fix and cost is high to so good luck mine one your car. :(

08-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Eric89Carb.
I think it might just be the anti freeze p;lug i had that problem and if it is that good luck that shit is hard to fix and cost is high to so good luck mine one your car. :(

That could be the problem. I don't know what's going to happen to the accord now. My parents are probably gonna just sell it for what it's worth or donate it and use it as a tax write off or something.... ah well I've still got a Honda! :-D