PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new amp for my kappa's

A Dawg Jr
07-31-2003, 09:08 PM
87DXhatch linked to a site the other night that was awesome, it's the edesignaudio.com site. They have awesome amps from what it looks like for CHEAP! I want the 440x4 amp, but what I'm wondering is should I go with that, or the 600x4 amp to push my kappa's. It's only a 60 dolla difference. I know that my speakers can handle the extra wattage, but will the differnce in the 35 watts or so be worth it. I plan on running some new subs in the back in the future, so what I really am asking about is, once you have subs in your car, does the extra wattage to the front and backs make a diff. with subs in the back?? Or will it sound about the same when I get the subs in?

87DXHatch
07-31-2003, 09:21 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean...

Personally, I'd go with the Tsunami 4440 db (which is 75 watts X 4 @ 4 ohms... 110 X 4 @ 2 ohms)... um, because I did get it. The kappas are a lot more efficient than you think... with my ~$230 Audio Control speakers, which are pretty inefficient, I can get them to play unbearably loud with 75 watts to each. With kappas, they'd be able to be driven far beyond their limits with the 75 X 4, even though they are rated for 100+ peak watts.

You will definitely notice a big difference in SQ and SPL with your speakers amped... the amp in your HU isn't even a real amp, it uses chips instead of actual transformers. You'll have a lot more control with an external amp. You should high-pass your speakers at 70 or 80 hz too, if you're running a sub... that'll let them handle more power.