PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid

AccordLX-i87
06-12-2002, 04:53 PM
I need to fill my brake fluid back up and im not exactly sure how to...can i just fill it on up? Or do i need to press the brake or something, i dont want any air to get in. Please reply back soon cuz i need to go ahead and fill it back up before work tomorrow...

BoredRec
06-12-2002, 04:55 PM
There's nothing special about the brake systems on an 87...just fill it up to the max line with DOT 3 fluid...nothing else to it.

BoredRec

smufguy
06-12-2002, 05:43 PM
are u leaking your brake fluid? if not u SHOULD NOT pour in more brake fluid. The reason usually the level goes down on the master cylider is because your pads are getting worn out. So check your pads (if there is no brake fluid leak) and replace them. Adding more fluid messes up your brake warning sensor(float).

AccordLX-i87
06-12-2002, 05:58 PM
thats the thing, im not sure if im leaking brake fluid or not...but i do know that i need to change my pads b/c they vibrate at high speeds. and i was planning on getting my pads changed but one of my friends told me that because my brake pedal went all the way to the floor that it could be the brake fluid

smufguy
06-12-2002, 06:17 PM
okay your friend might be smart in his own world, but here. the manual says it clearly and any one on this board knows the reason why the pedal goes to the floor with little or no resistance. some call it spungy effect of the brake pedal. Its your pads. since ur gonna change your pads, try this. park your car and pull on the praking brake (emergency brake) lever and see how far it goes. If the lever goes more than 30 degrees, then u need rear pads (not a must if its like a lil more that 30) but its a must if the emergency brake lever goes like straight up. Change your pads and not your fluid. park ur car on a clean ground and pump your brakes. move your car and see if u find any brake fluid. 99% its not a leak, its your brake pads. get em changed soon and u will save your rotors and wont mess anything up. Good luck and this board is better than your friend (sorry i say this, but most friends do mislead us).