PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Question

miamidolphins187
08-02-2003, 01:01 AM
I noticed that brand new luxury cars have really blue headlights. I wanted them so I bought Sylvania Cool Blues and come to find out, they're not blue, they're just really white.

Is it possible to replace just the bulb (not the whole headlight) with a blue PIAA bulb? My signature picture of my car looks like I have the headlights I want but that's what photo editing could do when all else fails. If the PIAA bulbs work, how much do they cost and where can I get them without using the Internet?

k-roy
08-02-2003, 01:22 AM
On our cars you can not just replace the bulb, you replace the glass with the bulb allready sealed inside, like I believe you did for about 30 to 40 bucks. Those luxury cars have pricey High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights. If you want real HIDs in the states get a H4 size HID kit Witch are about $400-$600
I reccomend a Matrix Headlight H4 conversion housing from SummitRacing.com part #GRM-09-120 for $32 to hold the bulbs.
One reason the kits are so expensive because they include new wiring, switch, relay etc.. since our stock wiring will not hold up th the extra power. I have seen this done on a pickup and the differance is godly. Good Luck

k-roy
08-02-2003, 01:28 AM
My bad, Sylvania has a kit for our car it is summitracing.com part# SYL-X4656 and is $500

pimp86LX
08-02-2003, 01:55 AM
I bought those sylvania cool blues. The sealed beam ones. And your right they're not blue but the are a HELLUVA lot brighter over stock!

jonrichert
08-04-2003, 01:10 PM
i did a piaa conversion for my car, bought the bosch h4 kit and a set of superwhite h4 piaa's. one of the bulbs died a year and a day after i bought them but i sweet talked the guy into giving me warranty, anywayz they look awesome and i totally recommend it. costed about $215 cdn for the kit and the lights.

cdscowboy
08-04-2003, 11:48 PM
You can find the housings on eBay (your cheapest bet) or at an automovtive store. Get the glass housings...they'll hold their clearness better. I have PIAA Xtreme White bulbs, which are VERY white. The Superwhites and Plasmawhites are more blue than the Xtreme Whites. PIAAs will cost you about $60-75 USD

Techno
08-05-2003, 11:28 AM
If you want insane white for you H4 conversion go hereEuro (http://www.eurodezigns.com). I have these in my ride and I have no complaints (though everyone else that is blinded by my lights does!:cool: )

Closest thing there is to HID without buying HID.

Techno

Swan
08-05-2003, 03:37 PM
I got the glass housing, and a pair of the silvania silverstar bulbs... they are pretty nice, I was WAY proud of them when I first got them.. but of course, over time, they turned more into "the norm"... still as bright as the day I got them, but they don't stun me like they first did... but when I drive my moms van at night, I keep thinking something is wrong with her headlights, because they're soooo dark, you can hardly even see.... because I'm so used to my sylvania's!

dXsquared
08-05-2003, 03:50 PM
i have some blue tint H4s that ill give to you for 10 bucks plus shipping... i used them for a month

Travis

miamidolphins187
08-06-2003, 07:48 PM
is that just the bulb or the whole headlight, cuz if its the whole headlight, email me at [email protected]

1987HondaAccord
09-06-2003, 12:17 PM
if i buy just the housing and some bulbs, will the stock wiring fry? or will i be ok? i really want the brighter blue-er look.

jonrichert
09-07-2003, 09:47 PM
you should be fine with the stock wiring, i wouldn't get anything higher than a 55W bulb

miamidolphins187
09-09-2003, 02:47 AM
http://miamiphins.com/Accord.swf

Justin86
09-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Also you can get a a set of projector conversion headlights for like $60. I can't remember the site but it won't bt to hard to find.

bburtonsk8r
09-12-2003, 08:30 PM
HEY, i need brighter back up lights, i have 5 percent window tint and was wondering where i can get brighter back up lights for my 89 lxi. holla back

PortugalFocus
09-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Yeah, you can get blue reverse lights at Advanced Auto Parts/AutoZone for $4 or $5. They are 15w I believe, stock are 7 o so. They are Heluva bright I have them on my Focus now.

I've used 85/100w bulbs for my H4's (APC) and havnt had a problem with them yet. I've had the same bulbs fo about 3 years now. they were in my 89 Accord then my 92 Civic now my 00 Focus. Best damn bulbs I've ever bought.

bburtonsk8r
10-02-2003, 05:50 AM
i got these headlights on ebay for 40 from mystery racing, they are h4 hid beams, they are much brighter but there is a little blue bulb under the big bulb but i dont know where to hook it up? is that go to the parking lights, it has two wires that come out of the back of the headlight. any idea?

jagojon3
10-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by bburtonsk8r
i got these headlights on ebay for 40 from mystery racing, they are h4 hid beams, they are much brighter but there is a little blue bulb under the big bulb but i dont know where to hook it up? is that go to the parking lights, it has two wires that come out of the back of the headlight. any idea?

Basically you can hook those up to whatever you want. I want to hook them up to my parking lights but I haven't figured out an easy way to do it, anybody done this before that can help? Anyways, you can also just hook them right up to the battery with a separate switch, which I might end up doing if I can't hook them up to the parking lights.

shepherd79
10-02-2003, 11:29 AM
i have 90W headlights on my car and stock wirring is just fine, but alternator needs to be bigger.
anyway, here is the link for dimond cut headlights conversions and projector lights for our cars.
you need 7x6 size.
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/rectangle.html

oh yeah, if you want true bright and blue light here is the set of light bulbs i have http://shop.store.yahoo.com/racinglab/raywhitsonh4.html
those pictures are actually what you will get with those light bulbs. they worth every single penny.

Vinny
10-02-2003, 11:32 AM
Hey Alex did you have to do anything, like add metal like CDS did to keep then dry with the lights down????? Just curious