PDA

View Full Version : bad ignitor?

jerky_lxi
08-02-2003, 08:12 AM
ok guys i STILL have eratic tach. I replaced the pcv valve, sealed everything in the car, replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, new air filter, rebuilt engine, checked all connections so i am down to a few last things it could be. My mechanic told me it is probably a bad ignitor the silver thing just below the distributor. Are these easy to replace and will that fix the idle?

A20A1
08-02-2003, 11:17 AM
Not sure... you might also want to check your stator allignment.
Do you have a chiltons.. or a shopmanual? I'll see if I can show you what I mean.

AccordEpicenter
08-02-2003, 11:50 AM
if you have an irratic tach it could be an ignitor but i doubt it. If it sounds like there is a rock kicking around in your distributor at idle then you need a new dizzy

jerky_lxi
08-02-2003, 12:22 PM
yes i have a knocking noise coming from that area, but i thought it was my transmission. It works fine though, so would this also fix my jumping tach? How much would a new distributor cost me to buy? I can actually feel hickups in the engine through the pedals from the hits and the rpm going up or down.

A20A1
08-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Okay I highlighted the air gap (The space between the stator and reluctor) in yellow.

The air gap is fairly small so don't use the width of the yellow highlight as a guage for the air gap.

Make sure the gap is equal on both sides... sometimes you can looses the screws and slide the stator side to side to equalize the gap... other times you only need bend one side of the stator back in towards the center to decrease the gap and make both sides equal.

BTW check the wires on the inside of the distributor and see if they are falling out or are corroded.

jerky_lxi
08-02-2003, 05:14 PM
ok i am going to junkyard on monday to pick up about 5 parts that are missing or damaged on my car including a distributor. Thanks for the help, if this does not fix it i am going to go insane.