PDA

View Full Version : Analyze This

3rdGenMartyr
08-02-2003, 08:45 AM
Okay, here's what happened. I was returning home from work and all of a sudden i lost power from the motor. It was still running only because it's a stick, and i downshifted to a full stop. When i stopped, the oil light came on and now it wont start.

When you go to turn it over, the lower end rotates just a bit and then all you hear is the started whinning. I thought it could be the timing belt, but it's ok. Could anyone shed some light on the matter.

A20A1
08-02-2003, 11:18 AM
But the car started again right? or did you like tow it?

mugenprelude86
08-02-2003, 01:19 PM
sounds like a timing belt blew... the engine cranks over but it won't start... first off, do you have the timing belt cover on your motor... look at my sig, you see the little gear looking thing, try and take the cover off for that on your motor, the valve cover will have to come off in order to do so, check the timing belt to see if its on still... if it's off you know what the problem is, if it's on then we have a whole new set of problems.. post back and we'll get it figured out

zero.counter
08-02-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 3rdGenMartyr
Okay, here's what happened. I was returning home from work and all of a sudden i lost power from the motor. It was still running only because it's a stick, and i downshifted to a full stop. When i stopped, the oil light came on and now it wont start.

When you go to turn it over, the lower end rotates just a bit and then all you hear is the started whinning. I thought it could be the timing belt, but it's ok. Could anyone shed some light on the matter.
Well after reading the first part of your post I thought that either the tranny or the transaxle blew. Then the rest may suggest something even worse. Sounds oil starved, check your dipstick or pull the oil drain plug to see if any large metal particles are present. If not, check the anti-freeze for oil. I f you do see some, possible blown headgasket and a bent rod. It is also possible that the oil pump gave out. I gave you some possibilities, think about it.

mugenprelude86
08-02-2003, 01:55 PM
read it dude, i read that it dos'nt run sounds liek timing belt

zero.counter
08-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by mugenprelude86
read it dude, i read that it dos'nt run sounds liek timing belt
:huh: I know you are not typing to me. You might wan't to take your own suggestion. He said that the timing belt was O.K. Sounds like someone needs to go back to grade school, or maybe they are already there just not paying attention.

cruznz
08-02-2003, 05:23 PM
he may of just checked to see if belt was still on,....maybe it's stripped the teeth on the belt around the crank area where he couldn't see............just a thought......

95AccordEXR
08-03-2003, 09:04 AM
if the belt is still on, then perhaps it slipped

3rdGenMartyr
08-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Here's what the scenario is. I pulled a plug and set it on a good ground. My wife cranked the motor, and i didnt have a spark. So, i puilled the cap off and saw if the rotor on the distributor was moving, and it wasnt. I pulled the valve and timing cover, the belt was on, and tight. I cranked the motor over and nothing moved. The cam, the valves, nothing moved.

I pulled the number two piston's plug, and cranked the motor. There was compression in the cylinder so the crank is good, but either the crank gear stripped out, or the keyway on the crank itself broke or slipped out, because the crank is turning but the timing belt is not.

This is the retarded part. In order to change that gear, you have to pull the god damned motor out. And that really sucks. Furthermore, noone has a crank gear, not even autozone, or napa. Si have to get one from the dealer, which is gonna be pricey. So, with only 700 miles to go until 300,xxx i have to replace part of the original timing set.

cruznz
08-03-2003, 10:38 PM
so you took the belt off to check it then? the teeth on the belt are probably stripped under the crank gear where you cant see it

Sabz5150
08-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Here's what the scenario is. I pulled a plug and set it on a good ground. My wife cranked the motor, and i didnt have a spark. So, i puilled the cap off and saw if the rotor on the distributor was moving, and it wasnt. I pulled the valve and timing cover, the belt was on, and tight. I cranked the motor over and nothing moved. The cam, the valves, nothing moved.

I pulled the number two piston's plug, and cranked the motor. There was compression in the cylinder so the crank is good, but either the crank gear stripped out, or the keyway on the crank itself broke or slipped out, because the crank is turning but the timing belt is not.

This is the retarded part. In order to change that gear, you have to pull the god damned motor out. And that really sucks. Furthermore, noone has a crank gear, not even autozone, or napa. Si have to get one from the dealer, which is gonna be pricey. So, with only 700 miles to go until 300,xxx i have to replace part of the original timing set.

The motor does not have to be removed to replace the crank gear.

Lift the front on jackstands

Remove the plastic shield under the engine (if it's still there).

Remove your belts (alternator, PS, A/C, all of em).

Remove the upper timing cover.

Now the tricky part... breaking the crank bolt loose. Your best bet since you have a manual is to put it into high gear and have your wife hold the brakes down HARD while you apply force to the bolt. It's a normal turning bolt, so in order to loosen it, turn it counterclockwise. It will probably be the most difficult bolt you have ever removed, but hit it with PB blaster and keep at it. Eventuall it WILL break loose. The pulley should come right off. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LOSE THE WOODRUFF KEY. It's the metal piece that fits into the notch in the crank and crank pulley.

Now you can remove the lower timing belt cover and get to the goodies at the bottom. Once the tensioner is loosened and the timing belt is removed, the crank gear should slide right off along with the two shields. When you reinstall these, they go with the curved side pointed toward the crank gear on both sides.

From there you should have a better idea of what needs to be done to fix the problem. Also now is a good time to replace your front crankshaft seal.

3rdGenMartyr
08-05-2003, 08:52 PM
My wife's cousin, said that the belt could be stripped at the bottom where the crank is, but it'll all come off to see exactly what's going on.

Sabz, thanks for the how to on getting to the crank, i just figured, that since it's that confined you couldnt get to it with out pulling the motor. Im not used to working on a front wheel car, mostly rear where everything is easy to get to, and just assumed that you had to pull the motor.

Thanks for the help, ill keep everyone posted as to what's goin on, and how soon ill hit 300, xxx.

mindlos
08-05-2003, 09:51 PM
Yup. Mine got stripped just like that. Looked like it was still okay until I saw the cam wasnt turning when crankin.

3rdGenMartyr
08-06-2003, 02:18 PM
Mindlos, did yer gear or belt strip out, cause with all the talk of stripping, im not sure. Hell, i might have to grab a 50 and go to a titty bar now...lol

cruznz
08-07-2003, 01:39 AM
it'll be the belt

mindlos
08-07-2003, 05:51 AM
Mindlos, did yer gear or belt strip out, cause with all the talk of stripping, im not sure. Hell, i might have to grab a 50 and go to a titty bar now...lol

It was the belt. I dont think there is any chance of the belt stripping the gear.

3rdGenMartyr
08-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Like i said i've never had a sohc so im used to a timing chain, and not a belt, so i just expected the worse, but ive seen a couple of pictures of the gear, and there's no way that gear will ever strip out

cruznz
08-07-2003, 08:11 PM
hmmm....so you've only had OHV,pushrod engines?.....i'm guessing V6/V8 cars.........

3rdGenMartyr
08-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Chevy v6 and i4, i had a tempo with a 2.3 at one point. To be honest this is only the fourth car i've ever owned, though we just bought a 91 camry wagon le, with the 2.5 dohc v6, and i cant find any thing for it but air