PDA

View Full Version : Another cooling Problem...

bctempest
08-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Ok, ive read post after post, and everybody seems to say the same thing.. Mechanical problem!! But what are the chances of an electircal problem?? I have a rebuilt engine, the head was plained, and a new gasket was set for it. Ive had the head tested, and the cooling system pressure tested. No problems there. So heres the situation. My car will over heat, but only at an idle. If im moving, coolant still circulates. So, i take my car in, and they say, its an air block, so we bled my lines, its all fixed. For a month, then, i was back there, he showed me how to do it, and now im doing once a week. So, he says jump the plug on the sensor unit (bottom of the rad) and he says the fans should turn on, but nope. No fans for me, and i cant seem to get the wires from the fan motor disconected, so i can try to hot wire, and figure out if the motor is shot, but i dont think it is, cuz after bleeding, (sometimes) it fixes the problem. So, i really dont know what to do. Any ideas?? Also, i was told to set my timing, as that could affect my cooling system, and thats fixed. And i had a problem with my throttle cable, thats fixed now too. Any ideas?

1988starter
08-02-2003, 06:06 PM
The switch should be on the bottom of the radiator just take of the plug and ren a wire to each connector then see if the fans turn on you can buy a new switch at the dealer.

bctempest
08-02-2003, 06:19 PM
I've already jumped it, nothing happened..

88' Accord Ltd
08-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Should get the fans working again. Get 12v to the fans to see if they turn on, if not change the sensor in the bottom of the rad like starter said. I think i read in a thread on here that the fans are supposed to keep the car from overheating at an idle.

bctempest
08-02-2003, 06:20 PM
I cant seem to get the fan wires disconected, so i can hot wire them?? Theres those 2 plasict connector clip, i cant get them apart...

88' Accord Ltd
08-02-2003, 06:23 PM
You're going to have to get the connector off to jump the fans unless you want to cut the wires and join them up with 12v from the battery, but I wouldn't want to be cutting wires. Some of those connectors can be a bitch to get off.

1988starter
08-02-2003, 07:59 PM
I think you pull up on a rart of the clip then pull one side out.

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-03-2003, 06:47 AM
You can power up the cooling fan very easily without disconnecting any wiring to the fan, at least on my '88 LXi! In the underhood fusebox, first check fuse #9, cooling fan. That good? Now on mine, there's two relays, the power window relay and the cooling fan relay, they're the same, so you can try switching them, too, in the lower left corner of the box. But when you remove the cooling fan relay (remenber which way it plugs in) and jumper the bottom two pins, the ones closer to you as you are standing next to the car, the cooling fan gets 12volts (hot at ALL times) and a direct ground! I'll try and take a pic if you need one.If it don't run, either the wiring is bad or the motor is crap.
I hope this info applies to your '86, and isn't a waste of time! :(