PDA

View Full Version : scoop in my hood

1988_5spd_lxi
08-02-2003, 07:43 PM
i want to build or buy a scoop for my intake. i do not know how to start, other than cut a hole in my hood. :flash:

kicker1_solo
08-02-2003, 11:42 PM
find a scoop off of another car, or buy one online somewhere. I know jc whitney has some....
I wouldn't recommend trying to make one yourself unless you have some practice in this sort of thing. Like you said earlier, you will need to cut a hole in your hood. Get the scoop first so you will know exactly how big you can cut your hole. Do that and then bolt the scoop on.

3rd GEN
08-02-2003, 11:52 PM
ya i was gonna get a custom scoop for mine too..
but no i'm contiplating getting a scoop or CF hood....

Mike's89AccordLX
08-03-2003, 06:05 AM
Well you can always put a scoop on a CF hood.

1988_5spd_lxi
08-03-2003, 06:07 AM
thank:)

kicker1_solo
08-04-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by 3rd GEN
ya i was gonna get a custom scoop for mine too..
but no i'm contiplating getting a scoop or CF hood.... personally I'd go with a scoop that is right above the air filter. More cold air flowing will be faster than a little weight reduction....

KaMiKaZeE
08-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by kicker1_solo
personally I'd go with a scoop that is right above the air filter. More cold air flowing will be faster than a little weight reduction....
Very true, especially at highway speeds and above. However you can also have both weight reduction AND ram-air by doing what Mike suggested and putting a scoop on a CF hood, although it will be more difficult, as you will need to be especially careful when cutting the CF so as not to crack the hood. Still, it is very do-able and you could possibly even persuade one of the CF hood makers to do a custom one that incorporates a CF scoop.

1988_5spd_lxi
08-04-2003, 09:17 PM
thank for all your help. I will just do a scoop, no CF. i saw a scoop for $19.00 at jc whitney. W 8"x L 10"x h 1 1/2" that is good or not? all plastic.

1988_5spd_lxi
08-07-2003, 07:13 AM
how do i stop rainwater and snow from entering the hoodscoop to my air intake.

Mike's89AccordLX
08-07-2003, 07:34 AM
I can't remember where but I know that I have seen CF hoodscoops somewhere. I think it would be easy to put a hoodscoop on a CF hood. Mark out where the hole will be and then in the center of that drill a hole or you could use a dremel or a die grinder. I'd prefer a dremel just b/c you can go at a lower safer speed so it won't possibly hurt the hood. Then you pre-drill where the rivots would go and then put a bead of this special glue down (kind of an epoxy type stuff) And then set the scoop on the hood and then put the rivots in.

3rd GEN
08-07-2003, 09:11 AM
ok thanks.. although, i'm not getting a CF hood due to weight reduction.. it was more of a show thing...
like a hood scoop...people will see it and be like WTF!! thats crazy...
and to see a CF hood on our cars..will also be crazy...cuz you normally see them on newer accords, civics, tegs...the usual..
but to see one on a 3G would be sweet..:D

Mike's89AccordLX
08-07-2003, 09:17 AM
What do you mean your not getting a CF hood due to weight reduction. Umm.... they're a ton lighter than the stock hood. I get a lot of looks on my scoop. People wonder if I have a turbo too. For some reason with my silencer in my muffler it sounds like a turbo when I shift. It makes kind of a quiet Pssstt sounds when I shift. And the sound from the intake is awesome.

1988_5spd_lxi
08-08-2003, 08:51 PM
I do not want a cf hood becaues:
1 i do not have the money
2 i want my car look stock so people would not want to seal my ride.

kicker1_solo
08-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by 1988_5spd_lxi
how do i stop rainwater and snow from entering the hoodscoop to my air intake. that won't be a problem. not much liquid will get past the filter and even if it does it'll just be a drop or two, which won't hurt anything.

Mike's89AccordLX
08-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Well you know if you ever hit a huge puddle which is common here in MN, that will be enough to mess up your engine. I don't know why anyone would risk an engine for a $35 part.

kicker1_solo
08-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Hitting a puddle won't ruin your engine. The only time that your engine is in serious jeapordy is when you completely submerge the filter. Splashes of water won't hurt it

fuzzy audio
08-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Hitting a puddle won't ruin your engine. The only time that your engine is in serious jeapordy is when you completely submerge the filter. Splashes of water won't hurt it

Kicker1 is obviously not from MN. ;)

I mean scoops look cool and all, but I think I have to agree with Mike on this one. I mean, if your in AZ or So Cal or some place that doesn't get a lot of rain, go for it. But not up in the midwest.

KaMiKaZeE
08-11-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by 1988_5spd_lxi
how do i stop rainwater and snow from entering the hoodscoop to my air intake.

that depends on how your scoop and intake is set up. If your scoop just flows air into your engine bay, you dont need anything obviously. If you have your filter built into a box and the hoodscoop seals with the box and performs as a functional ram-air system, the easiest way to ensure that your ram-air box does not end up filling with water is just to drill a small hole (about 1/8" diameter should be about right) in the box at the lowest point where the water would begin to collect. The air pressure in the box should force out any water that begins to collect quite effectively. Yes it does mean a slight pressure drop in the box, but it is more than worth it to save your engine from drowning. If the air/water from the scoop enters right on top of the filter, you should probably also add a shield over the filter on the top side so that water cannot just dump onto the filter.

kicker1_solo
08-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy audio
Kicker1 is obviously not from MN. ;)

I mean scoops look cool and all, but I think I have to agree with Mike on this one. I mean, if your in AZ or So Cal or some place that doesn't get a lot of rain, go for it. But not up in the midwest. I live 10 minutes from Oregon, the state that gets rain 360 days a year. I know all about this kind of stuff, especially in 4 wheelin'. We take our trucks through water, the air filters get splashed and soaked all the time. It's not a problem unless the whole air filter gets completely submerged. There was an article about it somewhere that AEM did some tests on it and wrote up this huge thing about how it didn't suck the water in unless the whole filter was submerged. I can't find it right now, but I'll look again later.

Justin86
08-11-2003, 05:29 PM
1988_5spd_lxi since Mike hasen't put pics of his scoop, just go to his site to see what a nice setup looks like. http://members.cardomain.com/mikes89accordlx

fuzzy audio
08-11-2003, 06:19 PM
I live 10 minutes from Oregon, the state that gets rain 360 days a year. I know all about this kind of stuff, especially in 4 wheelin'. We take our trucks through water, the air filters get splashed and soaked all the time. It's not a problem unless the whole air filter gets completely submerged. There was an article about it somewhere that AEM did some tests on it and wrote up this huge thing about how it didn't suck the water in unless the whole filter was submerged. I can't find it right now, but I'll look again later.

Cool. I was just razzin ya. I like up in Olympia, and I too know what it means to have rain year round. But MN is crazy. I grew up there. And I can tell you that I've stalled my car a couple of times in puddles. ;)

kicker1_solo
08-12-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy audio
Cool. I was just razzin ya. I like up in Olympia, and I too know what it means to have rain year round. But MN is crazy. I grew up there. And I can tell you that I've stalled my car a couple of times in puddles. ;) Well of course your car can stall because of water, if there's water there then it's not getting the air that it needs. But that doesn't hurt anything, did it? :)

A20A1
08-16-2003, 03:43 AM
There was an article about it somewhere that AEM did some tests on it and wrote up this huge thing about how it didn't suck the water in unless the whole filter was submerged. I can't find it right now, but I'll look again later.

Yeah they tested it on an NSX, they had a plexiglass tank filled with water and the cold air intake off to one side of the car and just dunked the filter, also they removed the foam to show the flaps in the bypass valve opening when the filter was submerged... anyways it depends where you choose to install your filter... obviously the bypass filter was not intended for use on a short ram since puddles rarely get that high and by the time they do you're engines pretty much fked anyways...