PDA

View Full Version : Help. Tranny mounting tricks needed

mindlos
08-03-2003, 08:27 PM
:help: :help: I dropped my transmission to replace my clutch today. Problem 1 is I could'nt get the release arm so I could remove the release/throwout bearing assembly. So since the bearing looked/felt good enough I got over that one and quit monkeying with it.

Problem 2 is that I cant get the freaking pilot shaft from the tranny to line up with the freakin clutch disk. And if you wanna I ask I DID center the disk using the tool then torqued the pressure plate on the flywheel. I think the root of the problem is that the teeth are not lining up. How is God's name do yo line those up if you cant even reach in and turn the shaft? I tried turning he driveshafts while wiggling the tranny on and no fuckin results. So the tranny is standing off about an inch+ from the engine. Another thing is I'm using 2 2-ton floor jacks to hold up the tranny. Made aligning to the engine a bitch.

I did had another person helping me too. God fuckin damn!:burn:

Help me please. What are the tricks you guys use. Also bear in mind the car in on jackstands so its not that high. Give me anything you can think off.:help:

:burn: :burn: I could be driving my fuckin car right now. All the howtos and manuals I printed. Went so well untill the beginning of the end.

88LXi68
08-03-2003, 09:23 PM
Seems like you have everything and are doing the right things. It just takes time and patience. Aligning everything up sucks, but there are bo real tricks. Just luck. Try having one person "bench press the transmission while the other guides it in up top.

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-03-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by mindlos
I think the root of the problem is that the teeth are not lining up. How is God's name do yo line those up if you cant even reach in and turn the shaft? I tried turning he driveshafts while wiggling the tranny on and no fuckin results.

When I was putting in a new tranny/clutch in my CRX last month, and I got to the point you're at, all I did was put a socket/ratchet on the crank pulley nut, and bumped the crank CCW a bit till the splines slid in. Can't remember if I had the trans in gear or not, but that seemed to do the trick for me.

mindlos
08-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Good thought!!!

Originally posted by 88LXi/87CRXSi
When I was putting in a new tranny/clutch in my CRX last month, and I got to the point you're at, all I did was put a socket/ratchet on the crank pulley nut, and bumped the crank CCW a bit till the splines slid in. Can't remember if I had the trans in gear or not, but that seemed to do the trick for me.

Tref_LXI
08-05-2003, 05:27 AM
ok put your car into 3rd gear, use tad bit of lub for the inner part of it to glide into the engine. Bench press the tranny from the bottom whill someone else uses their hands to push and move it back and forth until it goes in. Seems like everyone has trouble the first time they do it, but once you get the hang of it its actually pretty easy.

mindlos
08-05-2003, 06:42 AM
That bench pressin surely sounds dangerous if you get tired. I havent connected the shift rod so I dont believe I can put it in gear since I left it in neutral. I'll leave early from work today so I can try again.

NXRacer
08-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Why bench press? Just use a hydraulic jack......

Tref_LXI
08-06-2003, 07:11 AM
Just stick with it man, it will be a bitch one second and then all the sudden just slip right in like butter.

mindlos
08-06-2003, 07:19 AM
I ended up not doing anything yesterday coz I ended up not getting any help. Its still staring me down. One question, did you guys completely remove the driver side (left) driveshaft?

Tref_LXI
08-06-2003, 08:41 AM
i just yanked it out and set it to rest with some wire so nothing could hurt it. If all else fails you could just yank out the engine and install the tranny that way. Give the engine a good cleaning, replace the gaskets on everything, and just get the tranny in that way.

BITESIZE
08-06-2003, 09:10 AM
Just pull the whole engine and put the tranny on and drop the whole thing in. (If you have a cherry picker.) This way would be alot easier.

mugenprelude86
08-06-2003, 11:29 AM
man i JUST did mine liek 2 days ago by myself... i stuck a hydro floor jack with a large piece of plywood under it, lifted the tranny on and slid it under from drivers side to pass. side. then jacked it up got it closethen pushed the floorjack back to the drivers side with my foot while wiggling it in. it went in with little difficultybut if you got someone to pull on the floorjack towards the drivers side while your wiggling it is sould slide right in.