PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Car won't start!

kittykat
08-04-2003, 05:36 AM
Hubby changed the timing belt and water pump...

Then, brother changed valve cover gasket and put new battery in...

Everything was done since the last time the car started. Car has been sitting in the garage for 1 month.

Now, car won't start...

The lights on the car goes on (brake, headlights, key hole, dome), but when you turn the key to start it, it doesn't even make a sound...

Any ideas guys?

Vanilla Sky
08-04-2003, 05:48 AM
recheck the work... something probably got disconnected, or maybe a fuse blew out... both are an easy fix... check those first and get back and tell us what you found

kittykat
08-04-2003, 06:34 AM
I believe that my brother checked the fuses already....and we looked to see if anything was disconnect...but, we will definitely re-check things again...

I forgot: its a 1988 LX, so it's carb...

Thanks.

infecto
08-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Well if the fuses have been checked I would say its the starter or the connection to the starter. Well at least the solenoid on the starter. Easiest way to check that is to pop the starter out which takes 10mins or so then just jump it with your battery for like a second to see if it pops out and spins. Or of course you could take it to a parts store and have them check it for free. Also make sure the wire from the battery going to the starter is not lose.

kittykat
08-04-2003, 12:45 PM
well, my brother went out and bought a new starter...still didn't start up

dad says that it could be the ignition? what can we do about that?

Mac
08-04-2003, 01:48 PM
A little more info might be helpful. Year, auto or manual etc. Do you get any lights (oil, battery etc) when you turn the key?

If it is an auto, check nuetral safety back up switch. This might sound stupid but if it is an auto check that is in Park.

Also check all grounds are good- battery, starter, and valve cover to frame.

Make sure connections to alternator are good.

Mac
08-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Also check fuse # 21 (70a) and fuse # 25 (40a) in the engine compartment.

Good luck, hope some of this will help.

infecto
08-04-2003, 02:29 PM
The lights wouldn't come on if it was a bad ground though or am I wrong about this?

Mac
08-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Yep, I think you are right. If the battery ground was bad nothing would come on. Thanks.

But if the starter wasn't properly grounded then it might not start but the lights still might work.

cruznz
08-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by kittykat

The lights on the car goes on (brake, headlights, key hole, dome), but when you turn the key to start it, it doesn't even make a sound...

Any ideas guys?

hmmm...did those lights go out when you turned the key?......maybe the battery was drained during that month off,..(.i'm assuming it was going before the months rest)

kittykat
08-05-2003, 05:32 AM
guess what it was? the battery fuse!

I didn't even know that there was a battery fuse...!

I had a friend come by and take a look at the car...he measured the voltage in the main relay and noticed that the battery fuse was blown...so, we bought another one and VOILA it runs!

And thanks MAC for pointing out the 70A fuse...I never thought to look...you are the bomb!

Thanks to everyone for reading and great suggestions...I am learning so much on this forum.

Evelyn