PDA

View Full Version : Car Wouldn't Start

Goldfinger89
08-04-2003, 05:45 AM
Hey guys, a quick question. Yesterday I went out to start my car, 1989 accord coupe lxi 5spd. It always starts with just a bump of the key. When I tried to start it yesterday it just cranked and cranked. I had to try it 5 times before it would start. Everything is new, wires, cap, rotor, plugs. Any thoughts as to why it did this? It has started fine since.

Vanilla Sky
08-04-2003, 05:49 AM
clog in the fuel system that broke free... that would be my first guess

DBMaster
08-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Actually, it sounds a lot like a main relay going bad. Was it hot inside the car when you tried to start it?

Goldfinger89
08-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Yes, it was about 85 yesterday and about 75% humidity. What is the main relay? I'll do a search on that as well.

DBMaster
08-05-2003, 06:54 AM
My digital camera is on the fritz and in the shop so I can't post a picture for you, but if you do a search here there is a lot of information on it. It is mounted above and to the left of the fusebox under your dash. It's a little black box that says "Mitsuba" on it. There is a how to on "repairing" it, but for the $37 it cost I just replaced mine.

It is nearly impossible to get the bolt back into the bracket when putting the new one in so I just tucked mine up and out of the way - just like many others here have done. It does not require the bracket for grounding and I have had no problems since replacing it last year.

Goldfinger89
08-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Good deal DB. Thanks for the help. I'll pick one up at the dealer or autozone, whichever is cheaper, and put one in. I doubt that I'll worry about putting the bolt back in either. I will take care of the car, but I just picked it up to run back and forth to work. This isn't my primary means of transportation and I want to try to remember that. I don't want to sink a fortune into since it has 264,000 on it now. I'll keep it clean and serviced, but no new paint job or anything like that. This board certainly helps out a lot with info. Thanks guys.

DBMaster
08-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Well, the relay seems to be the most common cause of the problem you are describing, but there is always a chance it is something else. The $37 price is from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com which is actually a Honda dealer. Regular dealer price would probably be almost twice that. I think I have heard it mentioned here that you can get them aftermarket, I'm not sure.

264,000 miles is pretty good life from that part. Mine was going bad when the car had less than 200,000 on it. It might be a function of how hot it is where you live. It's freakin' HOT here in the summer!

Goldfinger89
08-06-2003, 02:45 PM
It definately is the main relay. It did it again today...It was very hot. When I turned the key there was no click from under the dash. I just had to sit and wait with the windows down until the interior cooled down. Once it cooled down and had to turn the key about 10-12 times before the double click could be heard and then it would start.

The question I have is the part the mitusuba 3309? There are a bunch of relays listed on the link that you gave me. It isn't listed on the link as a "main relay". I went to autozone and of course they had no idea which relay I needed. As soon as I know the number I can order the part. Thanks in advance.

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-06-2003, 05:57 PM
It would be a Mitsuba RZ 0028 relay. It would be #8 on this page at Majestic.

Controller parts page (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=2DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=CONTROLLER+%281%29)

Oh and prices seem to have gone up, $45. I was planning on buying a wheel bearing, it was about $45, now about $61.:rant:

DBMaster
08-06-2003, 07:46 PM
88LXi has got it down! I ended up calling their 800 number when I ordered mine because I had trouble finding it on the web site.

Go to Radio Shack and buy yourself an $8 can of "tuner cleaner." Take out the relay, pry it open, and spray the shit out of the guts. I got mine to work with no problems while I waited for the replacement. It might have worked for a long time, but I didn't leave it in to find out.

smufguy
08-07-2003, 04:43 AM
the way to do it is what carotman said. Resolder every single solder on the bottom of the Printed circut board when u take the relay apart. I got 4 of those relays and only one works. Seems like its time to solder the shit. :eek:

Goldfinger89
08-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys for your help. I'll order one asap. I'm just going to get a new one and not worry about it. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow morning and will take the GS300. The 3G will be sitting at home for a week and I won't have to worry about it. Thanks guys.

Goldfinger89
08-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Ok, I finally picked up the main relay and installed it. Oh man, what a pain in the rear. That thing couldn't possibly be in a worse spot! Talk about a hassle. I'm just glad that it's all done now. Thanks for the advice guys.

smufguy
08-19-2003, 04:26 AM
The easiest way to take it out is to have a 12" extention, a sweviel joint and a deep socket 10mm socket and a ratchet and trust me, u will just have to remove the fuse box and the main relay is reach-able.

PS: Due to the akward location, i moved my relay down furter near the foot rest on the left and covered it with carpet so that i wont have to worry about havin dirt get in