PDA

View Full Version : asbestos

infecto
08-04-2003, 05:27 PM
I was just curious how much you all worry about asbestos in brake pads and gaskets etc?

AccordEpicenter
08-04-2003, 06:01 PM
ummm i would take the nessecery precautions about it. Clutches and exaust gaskets and brake pads contain that shit. Just dont breathe it in or clean off any of those parts with compressed air. A good way to contain it is to spray the affected part with water to trap the asbestos dust

MrBen
08-04-2003, 06:03 PM
I was once in an old abandoned train tunnel that hadthat shit in there. I was in it for a couple hours. Oh so healthy.

infecto
08-04-2003, 06:07 PM
Well luckily most of the brake pads today don't contain it so at least you can buy the right stuff. I just sometimes worry a little too much heh.

infecto
08-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Like the time I worked on my 85 oldsmobile with the hood fire shield which probably has asbestos in it or when I was messing with my rear drum breaks on my honda trying to get them off with dust everywhere. You get the picture lol.

mindlos
08-04-2003, 07:51 PM
People who work in asbestos mines like the one we have in Swaziland all their life develop cancer or some other respiratory complication when they get to older age. To get that dosage you would have to intentionally try to put yourself in the Guinness Book of Records as an asbestos inhaler. With that said, whats bad is bad. It doesnt have to make you sick. Just use caution.

klaner
08-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Plain water does very little to keep the fibers out of the air, it's best to use soapy water. Also, some asbestos disease are not dose related. Mesothieloma only requires one fiber(a piece 1 micron wide by 3 microns long) to kill you but it's much harder to contract than asbestosis. Sorry, I'm in the environmental field, never had had to use that knowledge much before:)

zero.counter
08-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Breathing high levels of it can increase your risk of cancer and lung disease. Prolonged exposure to used motor oil is actually more harmful in the long run. The carcinogens (spent) in a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine a couple of years ago linked to birth defects and possible DNA mutation of certain genes.

AccordEpicenter
08-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Klaner is right, a single exposure can make you ill

87accordlxph
08-06-2003, 02:50 PM
There's asbestoes in insulation where I work I try to stay away from it because it does and will cause cancer in the respitory system. Brake pads now a days don't contain asbestos like they used to because of ppl having this respitory desease.
The clutch disk contains asbestos.
Don't use compressed gas to blow away any of these dust particles they say.

-Mike from Sarnia!

nfs480
06-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread but i've been searching for information on this issue ever since I did the brakes on a friends '94 Corsica. I'm actually considering paying a mechanic to do my brakes for me now. Ever since I did the corsica brake job i've been super paranoid about possible asbestos exposure I may have had and now i'm too scared to attempt brakes on my own car for fear of additional exposure. I'm wondering if any of the rest of you worry about this when doing your brakes.

lostforawhile
06-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread but i've been searching for information on this issue ever since I did the brakes on a friends '94 Corsica. I'm actually considering paying a mechanic to do my brakes for me now. Ever since I did the corsica brake job i've been super paranoid about possible asbestos exposure I may have had and now i'm too scared to attempt brakes on my own car for fear of additional exposure. I'm wondering if any of the rest of you worry about this when doing your brakes. working on your brakes is not going to kill you, if you are worried, get some brake cleaner and spray them down good first,to wash off the dust. plenty of people have worked on cars their whole lives and never gotten sick, some of it is paranoia

nfs480
06-27-2009, 09:01 PM
working on your brakes is not going to kill you, if you are worried, get some brake cleaner and spray them down good first,to wash off the dust. plenty of people have worked on cars their whole lives and never gotten sick, some of it is paranoia

I am a hypochondriac so I do know it's mostly paranoia. It's just good to be reassured that others have done this very procedure with no problems.

ChaseR
06-27-2009, 09:17 PM
This thread is like 6 years old.. lol

anyhow, I thought modern pads didnt have that shit in them??

nfs480
06-27-2009, 09:39 PM
From what i've been reading evidently some still do, so you're supposed to assume that any brake pads that are on a car contain asbestos to be on the safe side (according to OSHA). The thread is six years old, but I found it while searching and figured it would be a waste to create a new thread.

turabaka
06-27-2009, 10:24 PM
um.... yeah. There's a reason they made brake cleaner. To clean the damned asbestos off of the calipers and rotors before you go dicking around with the brake system. If you wash it all down thoroughly before you do a brake job then there's no asbestos dust to worry about.

lostforawhile
06-27-2009, 11:03 PM
From what i've been reading evidently some still do, so you're supposed to assume that any brake pads that are on a car contain asbestos to be on the safe side (according to OSHA). The thread is six years old, but I found it while searching and figured it would be a waste to create a new thread.some people also get killed by falling space debris, doesn't mean it's going to happen to you,wash everything down with brake cleaner and you'll be fine,

LX-incredible
06-28-2009, 10:53 AM
I'd worry more about something with an actual fiber like old asbestos insulation or when tearing out drywall in your older home... You'll be fine if you wash it off first, and there is a lot of quality asbestos free pads out there.

Civic Accord Honda
06-28-2009, 11:19 AM
lol... i touch old clutchs and brake pads and do all that shit with out cleaning anything some times dont even wash my hands when im done if im an hurry. seems everything under the sun seems to give people cancer nowadays.. i just dont belive half the shit they say gives you cancer... just like people claim cigerates give you lung cancer yet my great grandma smoked everyday of her life from age 12 to like 92 and never got lung cancer

paul
06-28-2009, 02:01 PM
...Also, some asbestos disease are not dose related. Mesothieloma only requires one fiber(a piece 1 micron wide by 3 microns long) to kill you but it's much harder to contract than asbestosis. Sorry, I'm in the environmental field, never had had to use that knowledge much before:)

+1!... best info on the thread so far (even if it's from '03)

A coworker just purchased a house from a old lady, everything's all early 70's original spec in terms of asbestos (curtans, cieling tiles etc) :omg:

lostforawhile
07-28-2009, 10:42 AM
lol... i touch old clutchs and brake pads and do all that shit with out cleaning anything some times dont even wash my hands when im done if im an hurry. seems everything under the sun seems to give people cancer nowadays.. i just dont belive half the shit they say gives you cancer... just like people claim cigerates give you lung cancer yet my great grandma smoked everyday of her life from age 12 to like 92 and never got lung cancer
you are an idiot cah, wait until you have to bury your best friend who died of lung cancer and couldn't stop smoking until the end. think before you type, it's fact that cigarettes will kill you, plain and simple there are mountains of evidence. i've actually buried 14 friends in the last few years who hacked and coughed until they died from the things,but were so addicted they couldn't stop.

Joay
07-28-2009, 01:39 PM
you are an idiot cah, wait until you have to bury your best friend who died of lung cancer and couldn't stop smoking until the end. think before you type, it's fact that cigarettes will kill you, plain and simple there are mountains of evidence. i've actually buried 14 friends in the last few years who hacked and coughed until they died from the things,but were so addicted they couldn't stop.
I think his point was that there's no guarantee that being exposed to carcinogens will actually result in cancer. That is something of an extraordinary case, though. Sucks to see your buds go out like that, I've seen vices do family in a couple times myself.

Mesothieloma only requires one fiber(a piece 1 micron wide by 3 microns long) to kill you but it's much harder to contract than asbestosis.
:omg: