PDA

View Full Version : my sisters 83 accord acting funny

RustyHo88
08-05-2003, 09:50 AM
ok, my dad owns like 5 hondas (83, 84, 85, 87,89) and i do most of the work on all of them. i dont consider myself an expert by any means, but this problem bugs the heck out of me. my younger sister drives the 83 honda accord, and it misses sporadically. we just changed the rotor, cap, wires, plugs, and tested the ignitor, ign. coil, and had a shop make sure the distributor was working properly... all about 20,000 miles ago. lately, it has been missing again. so i looked at the spark plugs, they were all black, not oily black... soot black. the rotor had black spots all over it, but the cap looked ok. the small piece of metal on the bottom part of the rotor was also bent a little, meaning the connection from the distributor to the rotor wasnt great. i bent it back into shape, and it helped a little, but it still misses... especially in first gear. so, i replaced everything once again, (cap, rotor, plugs, wires) and just for the heck of it, i took off the air cleaner housing and cleaned the heck out of my carburator. my question is... what else should i do? is my timing off? should i retard / advance my timing? do i probably just need to rebuild the carburator? any ideas?

1988starter
08-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Get a timing gun and check the timing and replace the fuel filters.